Ducks won't return to coop

PeaceDuckies

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2017
Indiana
I purchased my Rouen pair about two months ago from someone who didn't socialize with them. They were 8 months old when I brought them home. At their old home them were confined to an 8x8 dog kennel. Here, we have built them a nice coop that is fenced in. We have a large pond and I let them free range all day, letting them out in the morning to roam and WISHING they would return at night. For the first couple nights they returned at sundown. Now, they refuse to come back. If I sit out there long enough I can herd them in but that's about a 2 hr process for me to try and get in between them and the pond. I've tried coaching them out with their favorite treats (peas and mealworms). Once I got them back last time I didn't let them out for two weeks, but I feel bad keeping them from free ranging. Now I'm at a loss. They've caught on to all my tricks and I'm afraid they'll be attacked at night. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
I purchased my Rouen pair about two months ago from someone who didn't socialize with them. They were 8 months old when I brought them home. At their old home them were confined to an 8x8 dog kennel. Here, we have built them a nice coop that is fenced in. We have a large pond and I let them free range all day, letting them out in the morning to roam and WISHING they would return at night. For the first couple nights they returned at sundown. Now, they refuse to come back. If I sit out there long enough I can herd them in but that's about a 2 hr process for me to try and get in between them and the pond. I've tried coaching them out with their favorite treats (peas and mealworms). Once I got them back last time I didn't let them out for two weeks, but I feel bad keeping them from free ranging. Now I'm at a loss. They've caught on to all my tricks and I'm afraid they'll be attacked at night. Is there anything I can do?

Yes...Buy a free range mesh fence for poultry ..;)....They will not return every night like a Chicken...Do not allow on the pond..was a romantic thought but so very untrue .;)....

Sorry for your troubles..;)

Back
Top Bottom