Dumb question about chicks spilling water

derbychick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Charlestown, IN
There is probably an obvious solution to this that I'm missing. My 3 chicks are in a plastic box with pine shavings covered in paper towels. They have the typical small plastic waterer and they just keep spilling it and soaking their bedding. I could clean that brooder out all day. What can I do to minimize spills?

Thanks!

Do you have the water up off the brooder floor? Try putting it about as high as the smallest ones back. This should help. Or is there a way to hang your waterer? Might try that as well. My babies waterer is a mason jar on top of a galvinised "dish" Its for baby chicks. Is this the type you are useing?

Thanks, Deb! We could put a little board under it that would help it be more stable and keep them out of it. The littlest one is only 2 days old, and the other two are 1.5 weeks, so there's a bit of a size difference (plus, one of the bigger ones is a Black Giant and she's HUGE):eek:

The waterer is a plastic reservoir that screws onto a plastic dish thing. Got it at the feed store when we got the chicks.

No, I never even thought about that! So much to learn!

Going now to find a board and some pebbles...

On another note, I am fascinated by watching my 3. The baby needs to sleep so much more than the other 2, who are pretty much on the go all the time. They are very respectful of her, so far. And I would never have guessed it, but the gigantic Black Giant is quickly becoming my favorite. It'll be interesting to see if she really grows into those feet...

Oh brother, she just flew out of the brooder! :eek:

Derbychick, if you can, I'd love to see pictures of your Giant chick next to the other two! I've seen pictures of the Giant chickens, but they're never beside anything so it's hard to get an idea of scale. Good luck with your babies!

Ever since I switched my chicks to water bottles, never a spill again. I use the large 32 ounce rabbit water bottles and they all learn to drink out of it fine. I do one bottle per 4-6 cornish or 10-12 layers.

Back
Top Bottom