Dumb Question

magdelaine

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Inyokern, CA
I always thought the coop was whatever was enclosed by chicken wire. But in looking around here, the "coop" would be the building and the "run" would be any outside enclosure?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Ridgerunner is correct. But I would like to add that chicken wire is beyond useless as a run. Chicken wire is to keep chickens in only. And even then it doesn't always work!
big_smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Ridgerunner is correct. But I would like to add that chicken wire is beyond useless as a run. Chicken wire is to keep chickens in only. And even then it doesn't always work!
big_smile.png

Uh oh. What do you use instead of chickenwire? Our run is inside of a fenced back yard, but there are lots of predators about.

The usage on this forum, and a number of other places in the world, is "coop=henhouse, run=outdoor pen". HOWEVER that is not engraved in stone tablets anywhere, and there are plenty of places in the world where "coop=henhouse+run". I do not think it makes any sense whatsoever to try to deem one usage right and others wrong, it's just that there are different sets of terminology out there. So, when in doubt it is best to DESCRIBE whatcha mean rather than just assuming eveyrone shares the same definition, IMO
smile.png

The vast majority of chickenwire manufactured these days can be ripped thru by a dog or raccoon in about five seconds flat. You want something heavier-gauge, nothing larger-mesh than 2x4" welded wire fencing and preferably more like 1x1" mesh, or 1/2" hardwarecloth. If you use the 2x4 wire, make sure it is *good quality* and you really ought to add something smaller-mesh to the bottom 2-3' to prevent reach-through incidents. I would recommend not even considering 2x2 or 2x3 welded wire mesh as the only ones I've seen are very flimsy garden-grade ones that would not particularly challenge a predator.

You also usually wanna allow for some sort of digproofing... either bury the bottom 18" of the fencewire in the ground (lots and lots of work) or run a 2-4' apron of fence wire on the ground outside the run fence, securely attached to the foot of the run fence and well pinned down in some fashion (much much easier and just as good)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

This was not my question, but thank you Patandchickens for the great info.
I did a print out for my DH to read so he can understand what I'm trying to tell him.
wink.png

Still wet cold and rainy in NE Oregon today! Spring please

14Ga. wire galvanized after weld. I used 2x4 inch mesh, but smaller mesh is even better,just more money. And bury it 12 inches down and out from the walls of your run, and coop.
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

big_smile.png

Uh oh. What do you use instead of chickenwire? Our run is inside of a fenced back yard, but there are lots of predators about.

Last edited:
Quote:
When someone is wanting to learn there are no dumb questions. I have been lurking on this board for sometime gathering info to build my coop & run. In my younger day's I was on the FFA poultry judging team in Spring, TX. Still have to come to this site to refresh my memory! I have been gathering up materials, measurements, and working on a design. Plan on getting after it sometime this week.

Good luck on your endeavor!

Back
Top Bottom