Duration for reapplication of topical Ivermectin

JohnNada

Hatching
Sep 27, 2023
I'm seeing a lot of helpful information on Ivermectin dosages here, however, I'm a bit confused as to when I need to reapply it for northern red fowl mites and scaly leg mites. I'm using the pour on 5 mg strength. I keep seeing a second dosage after 7 days but I'm also seeing after 10 days. And how often am I supposed to reapply this for something as long-term of a problem such as scaly leg mites?

I'm seeing a lot of helpful information on Ivermectin dosages here, however, I'm a bit confused as to when I need to reapply it for northern red fowl mites and scaly leg mites. I'm using the pour on 5 mg strength. I keep seeing a second dosage after 7 days but I'm also seeing after 10 days. And how often am I supposed to reapply this for something as long-term of a problem such as scaly leg mites?
For scaly leg mites, it's recommended to readminister it in 10 days. I'd just go with the longest one, and you'll catch the rest. If you reapply too soon, you could miss some that hatched eggs afterward.

How much does the bird weigh?

https://www.dvm360.com/view/knemidocoptiasis-birds
The suggested ivermectin dosing regimen is 200 to 400 μg/kg given orally or topically for two to three treatments at 10-day intervals. For most species, give 200 μg/kg, and repeat in 10 to 14 days. Canaries usually require a longer treatment period than budgerigars do; three to six treatments are often needed before resolution is achieved. Because topical ivermectin administration at 0.4 mg/kg was found to be toxic in finches, use the 0.2 mg/kg dose for passerines and other sensitive individuals.
200 ug dose = ~0.02 ml per pound of body weight
400 ug dose = ~0.04 ml per pound of body weight

For scaly leg mites, it's recommended to readminister it in 10 days. I'd just go with the longest one, and you'll catch the rest. If you reapply too soon, you could miss some that hatched eggs afterward.
Is there a risk of reapplying too early and missing some that hatch?
7 days is for lice and mites because that’s the life cycle. The nit hatches and becomes an adult in 6-7 days. They have to feed before laying eggs. They die when they feed on a bird treated with ivermectin.

So if you wait 10 days they will feed and lay eggs and then you’ll treat. Sounds like it’s best to do day 7 to prevent them from laying eggs and creating a vicious cycle.

Ivermectin pour on dosage is given again after 14 days. I have used 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. A 1 ml needl—less syringe can be obtained feee at most pharmacies. If using permethrin for lice or mites, it is given after 7 days for mites, and after 10 days for mites, to get the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. For scaly leg mites, vaseline, Nustock cream, or other thick oil is used to smother the mites when applied to the legs twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom