dust bath 101

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
I brough it a clod of dirt from outdoors for the girls today, and as always, it was a big hit:
(Clockwise from bottom: Goldie, Millie, Lois, Buffy, Myrtle, Cleo, and Lucy)
HPIM1056.jpg

Then, after much scratching and fluffing, Millie proceeds the lesson on how to dust bathe, and before I know it, Goldie and Cleo are imitating her, sawdust and dirt is flying everywhere!
HPIM1065-1.jpg

HPIM1067.jpg

Just had to share. They are just so funny, and it amazes me still how quickly they learn their chicken ways!!
D.gif

I love Cleo!!
lol.png

It's amazing how they just know, isn't it? My two week old chick was dustbathing in my hair last night!
gig.gif

Edited for mis-spelling.

Last edited:
I was going to start a new post asking about this same thing. I put a chunk of dirt in with my 6 1/2 week old girl and she got right in and pecked around before deciding it would be best if she rolled in it. I was pretty sure this was the 'dust bathing' I've read about. What I don't understand is that after she bathed, she hunkered down in the dirt and started cooing or making a kinda high pitch purr....? First time I've heard the sound. Any ideas what it means? Is she just enjoying herself?

CarriBrown!
gig.gif
lau.gif
Too funny! What a way to be awakened!
gig.gif

AccidentalFarm , I guess she was really enjoying it! That's the first I've heard of a purring chicken!
yippiechickie.gif

I want a purring chicken!:thun

And I want a Cleo, too! What breed is she? She's just gorgeous!

Can you believe it? She is supposed to be an Ameraucana, and I am really loving the feather coloring!
cool.png

She is all attitude and "Me! Me first! Me!"
ya.gif

smile.png

I got a couple pics with the phone of my girls 'group bathing!'
Thor070.jpg

it was pretty funny!! They follow me around with the rototillier waiting to dig through the fresh dirt. Now they regularly bath in it when they have free run of the property. I even tilled up a little section in their coop but they dont use it. they like the dirt outside better!

Gertrude, Yellow Butt, and Hammy
Thor071.jpg

Rosie, Bok, Ethel, Gertrude, Hammy & Yellow Butt.
Thor077.jpg

Bok, Rosie, Ethel & Gertrude
Thor090.jpg

My dog is a little confused about what was going on
Thor092.jpg

Happy Girls!
Thor094.jpg

Those are such fun shots, akyramoto !
hitheresmiley.gif

They really look like they are enjoying themselves, and I love the names Bok and Yellow Butt!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom