Dust baths

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
Because spring is coming closer everyday, i wanted to upgrade my coop with a dust/sand bath. Only thing is, i dont know what to use or whats safe for my flock. My girls enjoy the dirt baths so i decided to try to give them something hopefully better for them.

If the chicken breeds matter here they are and the ones who ive seen roll around

Two buff orpingtons (yes
Two black sex links (yes
One golden laced Wyandotte (i think
One old English game bantom hybrid (no
One old English game silver duckwing roo (no

Me too! We free range our ladies before sun down and they instantly migrate to the “chicken spa”. This is an area of woods where there is powdery dirt. They LOVE it, and will roll around in it instead of scratching looking for food. They are adorable watching them shake afterwards and all the dust cloud around them. We have a kiddy pool already. We tried sand last summer, and they were not really a fan of it. Dried, fine dirt seems to be their bath of choice. How does that get recreated?

Just plain dirt. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I've seen people adding herbs, DE, or making some special mixture, which isn't usually necessary. If there's a spot that they already like to bathe in, you can dig up some of the dirt from there and put in the area you want it.

Just plain dirt. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I've seen people adding herbs, DE, or making some special mixture, which isn't usually necessary. If there's a spot that they already like to bathe in, you can dig up some of the dirt from there and put in the area you want it.
DE is a carcinogen so i wouldn't be adding that to my chickens thing.

Thank yiu for this tho. Its super helpful!

Back
Top Bottom