Dust Baths

If you have room, you can put dirt in a shallow dish or plant saucer. As long as it is dry it doesn't matter, but I think they would soon kick it out and have a splendid time making a mess. Could be fun to watch.

Exactly what Josie said. It's a great idea--they'll have a lot of fun. Be sure to keep the camera nearby
wink.png

I gave mine a big plastic box and put 1/2 sand and 1/2 wood ash in it, and a sprinkle of sevin dust. They love dust bathes!

My husband rototilled most of the backyard this weekend in preparation for some garden beds & to smooth out our hill. Not only did the chickens follow him around to get at what he was digging up (I was worried at first but they stayed well clear of the machine), they have been taking constant dust baths in the dirt! I went out yesterday and it looked like they were dead sprawled all over the yard! Then dirt went flying and wings were everywhere while they dug holes and wallowed in the dry dirt. They've been having a grand time. They do have sand in part of their run but rarely go in there. I only have a video, no still pics but it's a hoot and a half.

Back
Top Bottom