Dust baths

Ah gotcha! Mine will be completely indoors, but I haven't decided If they will be in deep litter or wire yet.

What do for think of using sand from a fish tank. IVs got some sugar fine sand from one of my salt water fish tanks that I've long ago broken down. It's currently been dry now for 2 years. I could rewash it and dry it again and use that for them. What do you think? It's the size of finely ground sugar crystals. Like bakers sugar.

They will love it! There is nothing quite like seeing a quail dust bathing. They like even more than chickens.

In an effort to persuade mine (2 Partridge Silkies, 1 & 2yo; an EE & BR, both about 3mos) not to scratch up the yard, I made them a dirt pit. I got a big (22" I think) used tire from a local shop, and put it in the back yard, near their coop. Then I filled it with 4-5 bags of plain topsoil (no fertilizer, etc). They love it :)

Ah gotcha! Mine will be completely indoors, but I haven't decided If they will be in deep litter or wire yet.

What do for think of using sand from a fish tank. IVs got some sugar fine sand from one of my salt water fish tanks that I've long ago broken down. It's currently been dry now for 2 years. I could rewash it and dry it again and use that for them. What do you think? It's the size of finely ground sugar crystals. Like bakers sugar.

If you go to lowes or home depot, look in the cement section, for Quikrete construction grade sand. It's washed and is abt a 50lb bag. I use it as the flooring in my runs. :)

Last edited:
thanks dsbailey70 but I wouldn't even be able to use half of that! And with mine being indoors I'm going to steer away from really super dusty things if possible. (hence the sand choice to begin with, just don't need 50lbs!!) lol. I've got some pine shavings for bedding along with native grasses I've picked for coverage/forage. I figure if I'll never have anymore than 12 birds on hand at any one given point in time I should be able to keep the dust factor down. ;)

Last edited:
thanks dsbailey70 but I wouldn't even be able to use half of that! And with mine being indoors I'm going to steer away from really super dusty things if possible. (hence the sand choice to begin with, just don't need 50lbs!!) lol. I've got some pine shavings for bedding along with native grasses I've picked for coverage/forage. I figure if I'll never have anymore than 12 birds on hand at any one given point in time I should be able to keep the dust factor down. ;)
It's like $5 for a bag of sterile play sand and while you may think you only need a little but keep in mind the birds are going to throw it everywhere and you won't be able to recover most of it. 50lbs of sand won't last near as long as you think. If you buy the cemex construction sand it will have dust particles in it. The sterilized play sand will not.

Ok I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Maybe after I'm done going through all my old aquarium sand I'll get that. I'll be sure to get the non dusty one! I've got about 75lbs of sand on hand though! Lol...I think that should last me a good while.

All quail, caged or not, are subject to parasites. Give quail what they crave....DIRT! You should probably have your quail on a worming program each year anyway....so why not give something to enjoy. I am sure there are things that can't be cured by a good dust bath, but right now, I can't think of one of them.

Back
Top Bottom