Dust bins!

Justafarmgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Carroll County, MD
I know chickens love dust baths- whats the best way to go about incorporating this into their pen? (Note the earth I live on is hard-packed and very damp most of the time) I was thinking of getting them a sandbox and putting it under their coop so it doesnt' get rained on. Suggestions?

I use a large plastic tub in the coop (tried in the run under the tarp, but it got wet and messy still). I fill it will ashes from the wood stove and they love it. About to go out and add ashes in a few minutes! You can tell when they have been in the box cause they are all gray.
now in the summer I don't have ashes, but it is usually dry enough in the summer that they make thier own dust bath areas in the runs

Quote:
Thanks! Thats a great idea :3 I don't have a wood stove but we have a firepit we use just often enough I think I can keep it full
big_smile.png
Thanks for the idea!

I have a sandbox for my chickens made from an old frame of a bookshelf or something, (no back) turned on it's side, filled it with play sand, mixed in a little diatomaceous earth and wood ashes - they love it in there. It's in a shady place in the summer where it stays cool and a little damp, and a dry sunny place in winter, where it's warmer.

Last edited:
No I sure dont, and I live in Florida so there is no fireplaces either....hhhmmm then do you have any other suggestions I should use in the dust?

Back
Top Bottom