Dustbath Question

IHeartCapnHook

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
North Dallas
Do chicken instinctively know how to dust bathe themselves? I have a large plastic bin (you know the kind that go under your bed with wheels and lid) full of play sand for my girls to dust bathe in. I take the lid off the sandbox and the first thing they all do is come running and eat the sand? I have only seen one chicken actually doing the dust bath in there. Nobody seems to ever want to get clean? I see my neighbors chickens always playing in their sandbox, but mine never seem to?

Is there something I can do to encourage them? Are they squeeky clean chicken and not need cleaning?

I didn't teach them, because I was new to chickens. They just knew. I got them as baby chicks, so it's instinctive. They scratched a little dent in the ground, then layed on their sides and kicked like crazy. What a mess! The hole got bigger. The girls got dirtier. The girls got bigger. The hole got bigger. The girls got dirtier. Well, you get the idea.

i use a mixture of sand, regular dirt and old fireplace ashes (now if i could only figure out how to put those empty coffee cans to use...!) for the bath. they seem to love it. i keep making the tub bigger but it's never big enough. a chicken dust bathing is a great sight the first time. once you get over the shock of them writing around. and figure out that they're not in their death throes but a state of pure chicken ecstasy.

it's ok if they're eating the sand. .that's their grit for digestion.

Mine found a dirt pile on one of their first trips outside. They were two and half weeks old at the time. They figured it out real quick, all on their own.

Would it be okay to add Sevin Dust in the holes where the bathe ?

I'm pretty sure Sevin Dust is not a good idea. I'd just go with some food grade DE​

Back
Top Bottom