SylvieXandra

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Hi I’ve had chickens for a few years now, started with 4. One died at one year old due to sudden death syndrome. One died around 7 months ago due to being egg bound. Now, pebble, is sick. She hasn’t layed for around a year and the vet says she has some sort of mass or tumor and will likely need to be euthanized this week or next. We took her cause all of her poop was sticking to her feathers. She’s having respiratory symptoms now like sneezing and panting. I love her and all my birds so much. Pebble is currently on my lap for cuddles while Olive is laying at my feet. They would both lay on my lap and sleep or cuddle for hours if they could. They’re my emotional support pets and I love them so much. I’ve already lost two in the 3+ ish years we’ve had them. Pebble is the plynouth blue rock. Any advice is welcome, as is support. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 0B539D2E-7E08-4A9B-9918-D26AD8BAA154.jpeg
    0B539D2E-7E08-4A9B-9918-D26AD8BAA154.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi I’ve had chickens for a few years now, started with 4. One died at one year old due to sudden death syndrome. One died around 7 months ago due to being egg bound. Now, pebble, is sick. She hasn’t layed for around a year and the vet says she has some sort of mass or tumor and will likely need to be euthanized this week or next. We took her cause all of her poop was sticking to her feathers. She’s having respiratory symptoms now like sneezing and panting. I love her and all my birds so much. Pebble is currently on my lap for cuddles while Olive is laying at my feet. They would both lay on my lap and sleep or cuddle for hours if they could. They’re my emotional support pets and I love them so much. I’ve already lost two in the 3+ ish years we’ve had them. Pebble is the plynouth blue rock. Any advice is welcome, as is support. Thanks.
Welcome to BYC!!

they are so beautiful. Im so sorry for your losses. It is heartbreaking to lose our dearest sweetest little companions . (((hugs))))

Neither girl appears to be thinking about checking out real soon. In the past, I've had so many elderly "dying" hens, it felt as though I was running a chicken nursing home. In the morning, each one had their special meds or special feeding, but other than that, it's surprising how many more months such chickens can still enjoy.

The objective is to make each day comfortable as possible, and special meals are the least I can do. Often, I do a lot more than that if the chicken is crippled.

Meals are whatever it takes to make sure they eat and keep up their strength. Boiled rice is a big hit. I top it off with a little egg or tofu. Grated carrot is a treat they almost never turn down.

But when they stop eating and nothing will tempt them, and they have stopped being interested in their flock, preferring to plant themselves in a corner with their head buried under a wing, that's when I know it's time to let them go.

Neither girl appears to be thinking about checking out real soon. In the past, I've had so many elderly "dying" hens, it felt as though I was running a chicken nursing home. In the morning, each one had their special meds or special feeding, but other than that, it's surprising how many more months such chickens can still enjoy.

The objective is to make each day comfortable as possible, and special meals are the least I can do. Often, I do a lot more than that if the chicken is crippled.

Meals are whatever it takes to make sure they eat and keep up their strength. Boiled rice is a big hit. I top it off with a little egg or tofu. Grated carrot is a treat they almost never turn down.

But when they stop eating and nothing will tempt them, and they have stopped being interested in their flock, preferring to plant themselves in a corner with their head buried under a wing, that's when I know it's time to let them go.
Pebble is having episodes with trouble breathing where she pants and gasps and sneezes. She has a large and heavy tumor inside. She’s heavy to lift because of it.

Back
Top Bottom