Dying/Dead chickens smelling like maple syrup

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
I know this is odd, but has anyone else noticed their chickens smelling like maple syrup? I had an old rescue hen (I am not sure her age) pass away last week, she smelled very much like maple syrup. I opened her up and everything looked normal, she was just thin.

I also put down another hen today who was a little over 2 years old. She has been battling some illness for the past few weeks and she wasnt recovering, so I opted to cull her. She also smelled very strong of maple syrup. Again, her internals looked totally normal except she had some old greens in her gizzard and quite a bit of fat around her gizzard.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this strange smell with their dying or dead hens... or maybe mine are getting into something out in the yard.

My other 62 Chickens are acting normal and smell normal.

Possibly some kind of bacteria. I've never had a bird smell of maple syrup. They either just smell like fresh chicken, or if there is infection involved I've had bad, rotting meat smell, just putrid, can't miss it. In people there is a rare disease called Maple Syrup Urine Disease which causes the urine to smell like maple syrup (an inherited metabolic condition) but I've never heard of it in chickens, not even sure their metabolism is similar enough for it to be possible. My strongest guess would be some kind of bacteria or toxin.

Pseudomonas aerugenosa bacteria is said to smell sweet. I haven’t heard about a maple syrup odor, except in the disease that coach mentioned above. Odors may also smell like something that has been eaten. A vet necropsy/autopsy by your state vet is the best way to know what is going on in your chickens. They perform lab tests and histology on the bodies, and give a detailed report. It can be good to call your state vet before you need them to learn the costs, how to keep the body cold, and how to send them a body in person or by overnight shipping. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom