E. coli from chickens?

Frecklesbutnice

Hatching
Aug 24, 2022
We keep a small flock of chickens in our backyard, and the kids and I have gotten sick off and on the past few months. We went to the doctor and found out we had an E. coli infection (EAEC strain) so we all got on antibiotics. My chickens have seemed fine, but I can’t figure out where else the infection came from. I started feeling sick a few days ago, and I’m worried it’s another E. coli infection. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I don’t want to keep getting reinfected. I try to have healthy practices like only wearing certain shoes into the coop and hand washing after caring for the chickens.

Hi there. There are a few thoughts that come to mind. It’s possible your chickens have an E. coli overload and you can send a fecal sample to get that tested. My vet doesn’t see chickens but will send for testing. You can also try your state agricultural extension office for suggestions. They’ll usually show some symptoms though, here’s an article about it

https://vetmedicinebd.com/e-coli-in-poultry-treatment-prevention/

Do you have a garden? It’s possible it could have come from there if you use manure in it.

I’ll have to see if I can get my birds tested. They really haven’t had any signs of any illnesses though. I’m just frustrated that we keep getting sick and I can’t find the source.

Back
Top Bottom