Eagle attacked my 85 lb Rough Collie

It could very well be a bald eagle. I live in Washington as well, and Whidbey Island is known for having a very large bald eagle population. So it could very well be a bald eagle.

Just saw all the new comments. It was actually a bald eagle that attacked my collie. I think what really surprised me is that it flew OVER the fence to attack him. The bald eagles are just such a problem for me here. I've had four at a time circling down low when my birds were free ranging while I've been gardening. We've got an old hockey stick that seems to be always lying around, and I'll pick it up and wave it at the eagles while I try to round the birds up and get them back into their pens. They aren't easily deterred and will hang around in the trees hoping they will get a chance at a meal. I've lost six ducks and a chicken the past few years even though I've tried to be careful. Our collie has always been a great protecter and the chickens and ducks seem to be fairly relaxed when he is present (they even seem to hang around him as if they know they are safer there). I used to think things were safe with wire strung every three feet above their run, but the eagles find away to hop into the pen and hop out again using roof tops and fence posts. Now I try to not leave them vulnerable at all unless I'm right there nearby.

I've gotten so tuned into the 'big dark shadows' that go past the windows of the house, and will dash out to make sure everyone is secure. I realize that they are majestic creatures, but they sure have put a damper on what used to be a relaxing aspect of having the chickens and ducks. We would all be outside in the Spring and Summer and all the animals (even the cats) would be lazing around enjoying the outdoors.

I'm not sure I was clear in my original post, but the bald eagle was in the chicken run (which is surrounded by a four foot fence). He hadn't actually gotten one of the chickens because they were all locked up in smaller more protected pens within the run. Anyway, our dog was barking at him through the fence and the eagle sort of half hopped/half flew over the fence to get at our dog. I'm reasonably sure the eagle wasn't happy about being interrupted while trying to find his way into the smaller runs, but seems he would have chosen to fly away a bit and try to wait out the dog. Our neighbor (who we share our layers with), came out one day when an eagle had gotten one of our hens in the pen, and he said he practically had to touch him before he flew off.

Simple solution, put netting over your chicken run. If he was in there, they he obviously has no trouble getting to them in a 'safe' spot. Netting will put a stop to aerial problems. You need to prevent access to your birds in the first place. If there is no meal ticket, then a predator won't seek out your birds as meals.

I see the only cure is to stop free ranging your dog. Keep him in a predator proof run. Next will be you goats. You'll have to stop free ranging them. And it just keeps on. Then it comes to you. Now what? This ain't the way God intended us to have dominion over the earth.
sad.png

I guess that's what I tried to say. They already do have VERY safe smaller runs. Completely fenced, top and sides, with chicken wire. They are all approximately eight feet long so not TOO small. They are set inside a much larger grassy area that I have the ducks pools set up in. I have actually managed to net half of the area and a gate and fence separate it from the half that isn't netted. I will get the the other half netted this Spring, but until then the eagles apparently are landing in the un-netted area and trying to figure out if there is someway to get at the locked up birds (which there isn't).

I only let the chickens and ducks wander in the grassy area when I'm outside. I really don't think that this eagle will attack and kill my collie (my husband actually thinks the dog got the better of him and the eagle was a little shook up when it flew off to a safe distance). Though it is unnerving to have the birds of prey constantly lurking, but that's our version of country living here on South Whidbey I guess. The dogs are usually only out when we are at home and we are quite tuned into any 'alarm' barking. Both dogs seem to get great satisfaction from 'patrolling' the grounds and seem to only bark when there truly are predators nearby (mostly coyotes and the eagles).

eagles hate coyotes and will fight with coyotes so it probably thought thats what your dog was

the eagle was in defense mode NOT PRedatory mode its not going to bug your dog it was interested in the chickens yoru dog (coyote canine something the eagle hates) freaked it out and ****** it off so it went into defense mode

very simple

many birds will fight a dog cranes, swans, etc.. an eagle is a very powerful bird they dont put up with coyotes

WAS THE EAGLE a bald eagle or a golden eagle? only a golden eagle have very strong talons
bald eagles are much weaker and your dog would have killed it

do not assume a bald eagle is as capable as a golden eagle if it was the falconers would use them truth is a bald eagle doesnt even hunt foxes or cats

barnie.gif
Defense mode! Yeah right. That Eagle was in predatory mode hence the name predator! They can and will kill a dog or small mammal! Research how the Bald Eagle became our national symbol. They are strong and formidable predators who put the safety of themselves and their young above all else!

LOrainne, I know your situation really isn't funny, but some of your descriptions have images coming to mind, of a cartoon showing some poor tattered guy wandering in the desert, eyes rolled upward warily at hordes of grinning vultures perched around atop dead snags watching patiently!

I've admired the bald eagles I've had occasion to see on visits to Washington, always in pretty wildremote areas, and must say, they are MUCH bigger there than those we have around here that I've seen, and yes, we do have some here...a fair number inhabit a big river bottom near me.

I browsed 'discouraging eagles, and found this...reading it cracked me up...

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/04/2300539/landfill-hazers-in-constant-battle.html

Thank you JenellYB! Receiving your link (and comments) was definitely worth my original posting. LOL.
lol.png
I actually found the reference to ravens quite interesting as well. My neighbor is really concerned about the ravens, but I find their vocalization and 'antics' well worth their presence. One day two ravens were making a horrendous ruckus out in our yard and it turned out that they were harassing an eagle that had landed in our 'empty' free range pen. I've yet to have a problem with them, but I do know that I need to have my chicks and ducklings 'under lock and key' when they are present. But you're right, it can ALL be rather cartoonish.
wink.png

I shared the story because I thought it was kind of astonishing and wondered if others had experienced anything like it.

Thanks again to everyone and all your feedback.

I live on Bainbridge Island, a bit south of Whidbey. We live right on the beach. There are at least a couple bald eagles living right around our one acre lot (mostly rural area). Their focus does seem to be the water. One regularly perches on the channel buoy close to our place. HOWEVER, they have discovered our chickens. Then again, our chickens are in our back yard a couple hundred feet from the water. They sit up in the tall firs above the coop and chitter back and forth (they don't sound like the raptors I'm accustomed to). So far, the chickens are OK, but there have been a couple times when they were spooked back into their coop during the day. Even the large muscovy drake who isn't afraid of anyone or anything (except eagles, apparently) was in the coop! Very unusual behavior for these birds that LOVE being outside.

I, for one, love living in a world where the wild things are!

Back
Top Bottom