Early guesses? 3 week old polish sexing

Chickmomz

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Eastern Canada
First time chicken owners and we are loving our 4 Polish chicks. Anyone want to take a guess at their sex? I have attached photos at 1 week (ish) and 3 weeks (ish). I also commit to coming back to update when we know for sure if they are Roos or Hens.

Attachments

• 77F0F00B-17F2-4710-A31E-4FDC481C1CCD.png
    77F0F00B-17F2-4710-A31E-4FDC481C1CCD.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 307
  • 1C4A3682-C96F-49A3-A728-78C7CAB79925.png
    1C4A3682-C96F-49A3-A728-78C7CAB79925.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 168
Peaches and Rhubarb look to be pullets. Squash and Pickles are harder to tell from the photo angles but their crest shapes look to me like they could be cockerels. Straight profiles and photos looking down on the tops of their heads make it easier.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way an expert, just making partially-educated guesses. 😊

Hey there!

Welcome to the polish life! There is no chicken breed on the face of the earth with a better temperament, or that is more social. We absolutely love our polishes here and it looks like you have some really nice birds there! Buff laced and white crested black are my favorites.

In terms of sexing, you are kind of in the dead zone - you need the crests to develop just a bit more. If I am able to see the birds in person and get some real close ups of crest shape and feathers, the odds of this go way up.

However, I will still take a shot here based on what I can see.

Peaches - cockerel (not certain)
Squash - cockerel (this one Id bet the farm on)
Pickles - pullet
Rhubarb - pullet (this one I am also pretty certain)

If you are able to get some more shots of peaches and pickles I maybe able to discern a little better.

Hey there!

Welcome to the polish life! There is no chicken breed on the face of the earth with a better temperament, or that is more social. We absolutely love our polishes here and it looks like you have some really nice birds there! Buff laced and white crested black are my favorites.

In terms of sexing, you are kind of in the dead zone - you need the crests to develop just a bit more. If I am able to see the birds in person and get some real close ups of crest shape and feathers, the odds of this go way up.

Pickles - pullet

If you are able to get some more shots of peaches and pickles I maybe able to discern a little better.
Hey there!

Pickles - pullet

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at our chicks and those words about Polish as a breed. We have fallen in love with these silly chickens haha. I got a couple more pictures of Pickles (white crested black) and Peaches (buff laced) but I will also swing back around when they get a little older.

if personality matters at all: Peaches is quite bossy in there and can be loud when out of the brooder. Pickles has always been the easiest to hold.

I should also mention the two buff laced (rhubarb and peaches) have always been the same size as each other but both smaller than the two white (pickles and squash) I’m not sure if that would just be a different hatching time ?

Thanks for any thoughts. I think it’s a lot of fun trying to figure it out :)

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 89
Thank you very much for taking the time to look at our chicks and those words about Polish as a breed. We have fallen in love with these silly chickens haha. I got a couple more pictures of Pickles (white crested black) and Peaches (buff laced) but I will also swing back around when they get a little older.

if personality matters at all: Peaches is quite bossy in there and can be loud when out of the brooder. Pickles has always been the easiest to hold.

I should also mention the two buff laced (rhubarb and peaches) have always been the same size as each other but both smaller than the two white (pickles and squash) I’m not sure if that would just be a different hatching time ?

Thanks for any thoughts. I think it’s a lot of fun trying to figure it out :)

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 123
if personality matters at all:
If you notice one that seems to be not very intelligent. That is a cockerel 😂🤣

No, I haven't noticed this like you think you would. Pullets are very bossy within their group, but passive the rest of the time.

Polish roosters are VERY reproductive minded. It seems to be their entire life focus.
Pickles (white crested black) and Peaches (buff laced)
Pickles is actually going to be a "splash". White crested black is a black bird with a white crest. I am going to also be changing my call on pickles to cockerel 👍 and sticking with peaches as a cockerel as well.

Final answers for how - Rhubarb = pullet and the rest cockerels.

If you notice one that seems to be not very intelligent. That is a cockerel 😂🤣

No, I haven't noticed this like you think you would. Pullets are very bossy within their group, but passive the rest of the time.

Polish roosters are VERY reproductive minded. It seems to be their entire life focus.

Pickles is actually going to be a "splash". White crested black is a black bird with a white crest. I am going to also be changing my call on pickles to cockerel 👍 and sticking with peaches as a cockerel as well.

Final answers for how - Rhubarb = pullet and the rest cockerels.
Thanks for the “Splash” I had no idea what to call them. I appreciate the info and guesses so much! I’d say that is what we had guessed as well, we will hold out hope that we may be surprised with more turning out to be pullets. Stay tuned to find out!

We have some big changes in these crests. Wanted to give an update and see if it may be easier to tell their sex at this age. All chicks doing well and their coop should be finished soon 😁

Attachments

• DEE50FF9-8674-4392-B6F9-90E9735045F0.png
    DEE50FF9-8674-4392-B6F9-90E9735045F0.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 144
Well, well, well - we meet again rhubarb, peaches, squash and pickles....

I'm going to keep the two I was certain on before at 100% - peaches and rhubarb. And I'll probably swap the other two.

Pickles - cockerel - pretty certain here.
Squash - pullet - BUT, this one is still up in the air. I know it looks like a pullet, but I still have my doubts.

I'm not going to lock these answers in yet Regis, but if you can send some side profile shots ill send final answers 😉

Back
Top Bottom