Early Hatch!!!!

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
First time incubator hatchers, set our eggs on Thursday 3/3 at 6 pm (18 buckeye and 12 ameraucana) .. and we have a broody setting on 9 eggs since 3/2

2:40 am - I was woken from a sound sleep to a chirping - only to find that we had an early hatch! Today we would be going into lock down (day 18)... We quickly removed the automatic egg turner and now are wide awake running around the house trying to figure out what to do!!!

I think we are going to take this baby out to our broody hen "Maggie" before sunrise and see if she'll take the baby.

What do you think?

Here's a picture - taken right after we were woken - see that the auto-egg turner is still in - we took it out immediately following this picture.
earlyhatch.jpg

Last edited:
Oh nice, congrats. I hope to start incubating eggs this time next year. And I'd give it a shot, putting the lil ones under the broody hen, obviously keep an eye on her to see what she does. Hope it turns out well.

Having the broody mother the chicks has always been the plan but not at day 18! While removing the egg turner we did not see any pips on other remaining eggs. we are going to let the chick dry for a few more minutes and then take to our broody and hope for the best.

**Here's a pic of the chick - right before we took it to spend the night with Momma**
oturner.jpg

Last edited:
Just took the new chick out to our coop and put it under "Maggie" our broody hen. All seams to went well the little chick scurried under her wing and she settled in on it. The best we could tell in the dark. Will update in the morning. Going to try and get back to sleep somehow tonite.

Does the broody already have eggs?

If she does this may really spread out her hatch, or she may leave the other eggs early... you may have to put her other eggs in the bator....

Just watching the eggs. Another egg is rocking. Why are these things hatching so early? This evening will be 18 days in the 1588.

Back
Top Bottom