Early hatching and pip death

CaptMom

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
South Carolina
I purchased 17 eggs from a local person and 16 developed. My temperature and humidity stayed near 100 and 55%. Sunday was day 18 and I took them off the turner. When I did, I found 2 of them had pipped. Of these, one I could see the beak.. It died. Monday, 5 hatched. Today 1 hatched. Tomorrow should be hatch day. Temp is currently 101 and humidity 50% down from about 65% when they went on lock down. I know have 3 eggs that have pipped to the point I can see beak and a little feathers and they've died. My mayor does have a fan. What could be the cause of the early hatching and swathes? I'm most concerned about the deathes. Also, I got the eggs on a Wednesday and left them in the counter until Sunday before putting them in the incubator.

I purchased 17 eggs from a local person and 16 developed. My temperature and humidity stayed near 100 and 55%. Sunday was day 18 and I took them off the turner. When I did, I found 2 of them had pipped. Of these, one I could see the beak.. It died. Monday, 5 hatched. Today 1 hatched. Tomorrow should be hatch day. Temp is currently 101 and humidity 50% down from about 65% when they went on lock down. I know have 3 eggs that have pipped to the point I can see beak and a little feathers and they've died. My mayor does have a fan. What could be the cause of the early hatching and swathes? I'm most concerned about the deathes. Also, I got the eggs on a Wednesday and left them in the counter until Sunday before putting them in the incubator.

If they hatched early----your incubator is to hot which can cause hatching problems. In my opinion your humidity was to high the first 18 days and to low the last 3 days, but you had hatches or pips at the beginning of the last 3 days. Even though your thermometer states 100, it might be 101 or 102.

If I was in your shoes and I wanted to hatch again, using the exact same things I would do 98.5 and 35% humidity for the first 18 days then raise to 70%+ the last 3 days. You will probably have a better hatch and more on time.

Last edited:

The 2 that pipped and died. The 3rd One I thought was dead, wasn't. Yay! Seems like they e're so clause to making it.

So, I did an eggtopsy. The first picture is the egg on the left from above. I really don't know why it died. It was fully developed and beak was exposed to air. Inner membrane was still moist. There was some green poop by his butt,but that was it.
The 2nd chick was also fully developed and pipped, but the 2nd hole in I think was made by another, already hatched chick, which I think may have died out the chick prematurely. I also noticed the shell was stuck to the chicks beak, so it may have suffocated.

Back
Top Bottom