Earthbag construction chicken coop?

I saw a special on this I think on the Discovery Channel. No- It was Planet Green I think.

Uhm... A chicken coop? Since the walls would be so thick because they're bags of sand, and because they're difficult to make and time consuming, I think It'd be easier to stick to plywood for now. They would make an awesome house, though!

If one did make a chicken coop out of it it would be fantastic! Cool in the summer, hot in the winter... but unfortunately not everyone has the expertise to craft one of these suckers.

i have seen them on planet green but i wonder if a dog or other predator decided he wanted in and started to dig, would the earth in the bag slip out of the hole he started.. i doubt he could dig all the way through though. are you going to plaster the outside?

That'd make an interesting coop
smile.png
(I would really, really like to make a strawbale or cordwood coop someday. Maybe after DH retires and we move, I dunno)

In non-arid climates I suspect you might end up having to cover the inside of the walls with some very thin moisture barrier and/or insulation (I'm sure this could be done somehow -- if nothing else, sprayfoam and vinyl).

Ventilation openings could presumably be engineered in, just as the windows and doors you see in the iillustrations.

Be really cool to do, though. Just a note to anyone thinking of trying it -- you have to use proper bags, NOT RECYCLED FEEDBAGS (which are not UV-resistant and will crumble into nothingness, out in the sun, within a year or two max, or much less for some feedbags)

Thanks for the interesting link!
smile.png

Pat

Regarding chickens pecking at the bags or the UV problem from what I saw on the website the bags are covered with stucco or other materials. The earth bags form the internal structure and are then covered over. They cannot be left open to the elements.

The small outbuildings and homes using this method had ventilation so I imagine it would be same for a coop.
Check out the menu on the left side of the website...there are a number of articles and photos of finished structures.

I too have always wanted to try a straw bale building or perhaps an earthbag building. It seems a small coop might be something to start on and see if it is effective. Could always turn it into a garden potting room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom