Easiest way to breed a lavender patterned isabel laced pied/mottled sebright?

New2diss

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
I was playing with the chicken calculator with a gold laced sebright roo and lavender hen because I was thinking about try to use my lavender ameraucanas for the cross but I was wondering if I'd be better off buying a porcelain d’Uccles Bantam?

I was playing with the chicken calculator with a gold laced sebright roo and lavender hen because I was thinking about try to use my lavender ameraucanas for the cross but I was wondering if I'd be better off buying a porcelain d’Uccles Bantam?
If you start with the Sebright and a solid Lavender hen, you will not have any mottling. If you want mottling too, then yes it would be easier to start with the Porcelain d'Uccle Bantam instead of the solid Lavender.

Or you could skip the mottling fo rnow, if that works with the birds you have, and bring in a d'Uccle Bantam later to add the mottling gene to your project.

Are you in the US? There were some Lavender Sebrights made years ago by Dan Powell in Wisconsin. It might be worth checking if they are still around. If not a Porcelain d'Uccle would be a good choice. There won't be much color variation in the first generation cross, so you won't have to hatch too many, just depends on how many you have room for to keep as breeders. I would probably keep at least 10 hens to be able to generate enough second generation chicks to make quick progress. I would do weekly hatches for several months to get as many chicks as possible, and of course cull the chicks when they come out of the hatcher. While 1 of 16 chicks will have both lavender and mottling, those won't necessarily have all the right genes for lacing, and if you want to quickly get rid of beards and feathered legs you'll have to hatch a lot more. Then breed your best mottled lavender bird back to pure Sebrights and repeat the process. Hope it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom