Easter Egger club!

Hey are these two EEs? Pinkish and greenish eggs. He said Amer.but they only lay blue I think. I'm hoping they're EE

Pure Ameraucana varieties have a goal to lay only blue eggs in ranges from blue-green to almost turquoise or pretty blue. However, pure Ameraucana only need to breed 50% true all the time to still be considered pure Ameraucana as long as other APA SOP standards are met.

The hatchery varieties are Easter Eggers labeled as mis-spelled "AMER--I--CANA" and are not of the correct label spelling of pure bred "AMER--AU--CANA" Both EEs and Ameraucanas are sweet birds but any bird that doesn't meet the APA Ameraucana SOP standard for egg color, feather color, body type, etc, have to be called Easter Egger.

Now, EEs are interesting egg layers. They can lay all sorts of colors -- many different shades of blue, blue-green, tinted, pink, brown, sage, mint, stone (grayish), and even WHITE! They are full of surprises.

Murray McMurray calls theirs Ameraucana/Araucana (no I) and Ideal calls theirs Ameraucana though both are Easter Eggers.

What "gets my goat" is that these hatcheries have been informed about the discrepancies but continue the deceptive practice in spite of notifications. So far, private breeders are the best way to get exactly what you order. Feed stores and hatcheries are hit-and-miss. They probably have sweet Easter Eggers but don't count on a $3 to $7 feed store or hatchery chick to be a pure Ameraucana. I paid $20 for my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana juvenile from a breeder and she was only pet quality. Expect to pay more for a nice Ameraucana. Show breeders deserve the extra bucks for their stock!

What "gets my goat" is that these hatcheries have been informed about the discrepancies but continue the deceptive practice in spite of notifications.  So far, private breeders are the best way to get exactly what you order.  Feed stores and hatcheries are hit-and-miss.  They probably have sweet Easter Eggers but don't count on a $3 to $7 feed store or hatchery chick to be a pure Ameraucana.  I paid $20 for my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana juvenile from a breeder and she was only pet quality.  Expect to pay more for a nice Ameraucana.  Show breeders deserve the extra bucks for their stock!

I noticed Orschlens's or Estes hatchery where they get their birds from has changed their EEs sign to "Ameraucana", the correct spelling of the breed recognized colors. EEs are wonderful, but the deception is there, especially when hatcheries know better. I bought 7 of them! The two grown EEs I have are full of personality! I only have 5 purebred AMs left not including my 3 AM roosters!
My wheaten Snuggle Bug is the sweetest most gentle bird! But I've worked with him ALOT.

I fell victim to the misspelling deception. At only 2 weeks no telling what mine will look like.I will post pics soon love mine they seem alert and intelligent

EEs are every bit as sweet as APA recognized Ameraucanas with the difference being that the EEs don't meet APA SOP standard and lay more variety of colored eggs. There are some beautiful muffed cheek EEs in all sorts of unrecognized patterns that are gorgeous plus give a variety of egg colors from blue, green, pink, brown, and even white! For a colorful egg basket it would be nice to have 5 or 6 EEs laying each a different color from blue, green, pink, white to browns -- wouldn't that be most excellent?!

EEs are every bit as sweet as APA recognized Ameraucanas with the difference being that the EEs don't meet APA SOP standard and lay more variety of colored eggs.  There are some beautiful muffed cheek EEs in all sorts of unrecognized patterns that are gorgeous plus give a variety of egg colors from blue, green, pink, brown, and even white!  For a colorful egg basket it would be nice to have 5 or 6 EEs laying each a different color from blue, green, pink, white to browns -- wouldn't that be most excellent?!
My EEs lay a rainbow of colors!

Love my EEs personalities. They're the quirkiest and most loveable in the bunch. I'm shelling out for a blue ameraucana this year out of curiosity but EEs have my heart
smile.png

My reviews research of Ameraucana breeders/owners seems to rate the Wheaten/Blue Wheatens as the sweetest of the varieties. I ordered a Blue once and she arrived w/ Mareks and had to put her down so never got first-hand experience w/ a Blue, darn it! Meanwhile, our Blue Wheaten was a sweetheart toward flockmates. Jittery jumpy kooky spooky alert cautious hen and the kindest of all flockmates! She'd purr when we held her!

Back
Top Bottom