Easter Egger club!

Has anyone crossed a Blue Ameraucana Cockerel with an Easter Egger Hen?
I did and her is what I got. A black chick with a brown head spot and yellow chest and tummy.
Is the dot on the head a indicator of a male?

Well, we decided to give our permabroody hen, Velcro, a couple babies. We picked these little ones up at the feedstore. The staff there said they only purchase pullets & the hatchery has a 90% pullets guarantee. Anyhow, they said these were Ameraucanas (sp?), but I looked those up & they seem to be an expensive/rare breed?

Any thoughts on these two? Breed? Sex?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I love my EEs. My grandpa bred them for years and I took over his flock when he passed.

My roosters are:
Diego
Zorro (Diego's son)
Gabriel AKA Bigfoot

Hens:
Talkie
Peaches
Luna
Sofia
Grey Lady
Silvia
Fancy
Red
plus 30 odd chicks under my broodies right now!

Well, we decided to give our permabroody hen, Velcro, a couple babies. We picked these little ones up at the feedstore. The staff there said they only purchase pullets & the hatchery has a 90% pullets guarantee. Anyhow, they said these were Ameraucanas (sp?), but I looked those up & they seem to be an expensive/rare breed?

Any thoughts on these two? Breed? Sex?

Thanks!

Feed stores always incorrectly label Easter Egger as "Amer-I-cana" which is a misspelling of the expensive "Amer-AU-cana". No local feed store sells expensive AMERAUCANA because customers won't pay the price while Easter Egger is much cheaper to sell and look almost as cute and fluffy as truebred AmerAUcana. You have some cute chicks there!

Feed stores always incorrectly label Easter Egger as "Amer-I-cana" which is a misspelling of the expensive "Amer-AU-cana".  No local feed store sells expensive AMERAUCANA because customers won't pay the price while Easter Egger is much cheaper to sell and look almost as cute and fluffy as truebred AmerAUcana.  You have some cute chicks there!

The ones around here, and a lot of hatcheries, don't even bother with the mispelling. My closest feed store sells "Aracaunas" since Murray McMurray calls their EEs "Ameraucana/Aracauna". It irks me to no end, whether its done intentionally or not.

The ones around here, and a lot of hatcheries, don't even bother with the mispelling. My closest feed store sells "Aracaunas" since Murray McMurray calls their EEs "Ameraucana/Aracauna". It irks me to no end, whether its done intentionally or not.

After years of being told to correct the error in advertising, the major hatcheries are still getting away with it. I think only a lawsuit with a verdict of a hefty fine will be the only way they'll change their ways. I won't order from hatcheries that incorrectly label their birds. I prefer private breeders. Local feed stores are just as much to blame --They know the birds are Easter Eggers but because the hatchery labeled them as Americana, Ameraucana, or Araucana, the feed store feels justified to incorrectly label the EEs in the chick bin.

Back
Top Bottom