Easter Egger club!

chick rookie I hope you get well soon. my 22 yr old has had a horrible cold fir over 2 weeks I am on my 1st week but it turned into sinus infection.

Here's my 2 EE girls( the blue one lays dark olive eggs actually) just so i can join the group! I've gotten back into chickens after a long break from my childhood chickens(meanest flock of leghorns ever!) And i just love the colorful eggs and beautiful coloration of each bird. These girls are just 2 out of a rainbow flock of layers but they draw the most attention out of all. Being that they hit the 1 yr mark in feb. I guess i should start planning a party and making a meal worm/collard green/ sunflower seed cake!
Yay EE!

Here's my 2 EE girls( the blue one lays dark olive eggs actually) just so i can join the group! I've gotten back into chickens after a long break from my childhood chickens(meanest flock of leghorns ever!) And i just love the colorful eggs and beautiful coloration of each bird. These girls are just 2 out of a rainbow flock of layers but they draw the most attention out of all. Being that they hit the 1 yr mark in feb. I guess i should start planning a party and making a meal worm/collard green/ sunflower seed cake!
Yay EE!

All the older generation in my family remembers their individual parents flocks of nasty leghorns. My mom was telling me how her parents kept a flock of them. Her dad was complaining about how awful their flock was and how he grew up with his parents mean flock terrorizing him when he was young. And every spring he would faithfully order more. I posed the obvious question in my mind, "then why didn't you just order a different breed?" He was stumped. He "had no idea there were other breeds to choose from." He always ordered them because his parents had always had them. I understand from a production farm standpoint, you order the best producer for the least input. But when you get your own backyard flock and have small children around, it seemed to me like you could try a breed not notorious for being hateful. HAHAHA It seems to have been the right of passage for people back then. Everyone was terrorized by leghorns or their parents were doing something wrong.

All the older generation in my family remembers their individual parents flocks of nasty leghorns. My mom was telling me how her parents kept a flock of them. Her dad was complaining about how awful their flock was and how he grew up with his parents mean flock terrorizing him when he was young. And every spring he would faithfully order more. I posed the obvious question in my mind, "then why didn't you just order a different breed?" He was stumped. He "had no idea there were other breeds to choose from." He always ordered them because his parents had always had them. I understand from a production farm standpoint, you order the best producer for the least input. But when you get your own backyard flock and have small children around, it seemed to me like you could try a breed not notorious for being hateful. HAHAHA It seems to have been the right of passage for people back then. Everyone was terrorized by leghorns or their parents were doing something wrong.

It's funny, my white leghorn lays everyday and is the friendliest bird I have!

It's funny, my white leghorn lays everyday and is the friendliest bird I have!

Lol, i wish mine would do that lay every day thing. She started laying in june, 6-7 days strait, then nothing until sept 9th or so, then when she does lay her eggs are not any better then store bought. All my other breeds lay just as much if not more and lay better tasting eggs. Lol, she hasn't laid in a week now again. She is way outside the norm that is for sure. But she is not the devil bird i remember them to be, flighty but sweet once grabbed and never jumps on anyone.
By the way (bbhorsefly) i was dead set against her but my 7yr old little girl had to have her, lol. She's part of the flock but not much else.

Yay EE!

It's so sad Leghorns have such an assertive to downright cannibalistic nature because they are such great XL egg layers. We had a nice White Leg as alpha and she was quite humane as a flock leader but after her reclusive 3rd year molt she came back to re-assert her alpha position a little too forcefully.

A one-yr-old Buff Leg went bonkers her first year and we had to re-home both the White Leg and the Buff Leg because they were terrorizing the gentle smaller breeds in the flock.

Of all our bully breeds this 7-lb Cuckoo Marans was our meanest chicken ever. The White Leg was the only hen able to keep the Marans in her place -- which is interesting since the White Leg was only 4.5 lbs.

On the opposite end of breed temperament we have never had such a timid submissive non-combative breed as our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (my avatar) and our friends said the same about their one Amer and 3 EEs - very sweet and kind to their flockmates and if you gain their trust they allow petting and holding. Sweet sweet birds. My only complaint is that Amer's aren't reliably prolific for us.

This Blue Breda has been a pleasant surprise to us as a sweet light-weight (4-lb) non-combative breed that is not timid like the Amer or EE and Bredas love people. She actually comes up to our visitors to chit-chat and take treats from them. She sits on a bench next to visitors and snoozes next to them and allows them to pet her. She's a crack-up to watch and not a bad egg-layer of very white medium-to-large eggs. Some people don't care for feather-footed breeds but we've had Silkies for 5 yrs and are not turned off by feather-footed breeds. The sweet nature of Silkies and Breda make their feather-feet worth the minimal xtra care. They are also striking because they only have a tiny tuft of a crest where a comb normally should be.

The Silkies -- our whole reason for wanting all members of the backyard flock to be gentle non-combative breeds. Anyone who doesn't play "nice" with the Silkies is outta here!!!

Last edited:
My EE cockerel is driving me bananas! It's raining here and he HATES being in the coop. So I let them out. But he HATES being in the rain. He's growling and crowing at everything and even chased a jogger today! (He's never liked joggers). Are EE roos dainty little princesses by nature? I hope he gets over it soon as it's supposed to keep raining for a while. My girls are good. They're happy with food and a dry place. They run out into the yard for worms and run back inside. But Nero... He's complaining about everything!

And now I want a Breda! I've never heard of them, but she's so sweet. What care do feathered feet need? Wrong thread, I know, apologies
smile.png
I don't have Breda but do have Brahmas and their feet make it fine, they get dirty and muddy and it can be dangerous if they have to be in the mud or snow for extended periods. Mine have a decent dry area to keep them from getting too wet or snow packed but it can be a frostbite problem or mositure sog problem for lack of a better picture word.

Back
Top Bottom