Easter Egger club!

They're really easy! A bucket (I use a 15 gallon storage bin), some wheat bran, and a few veggies every few days is all they need. Clean out every few months and you're good to go. You'll save SO MUCH money over buying them all the time. There's a great thread in the forums for tips on raising them, too.
Thanks! I will look into it. The 5000 live in my fridge for months, so that is easy. I know they turn into beetles to reproduce...so you just keep them all in the same bucket?

Thanks! I will look into it. The 5000 live in my fridge for months, so that is easy. I know they turn into beetles to reproduce...so you just keep them all in the same bucket?

I do, but I've started keeping a separate tray in the bucket (with bran in it) where I place any pupae or beetles that I find. I did that for several weeks in preparation for a clean out, so I know most of the eggs were in the separate, fresh bin. When I feed the chickens, I just scoop out a cup of everything - the chickens will eat it all (worms, pupae, beetles, bran); in fact, they'll sit there and pick at every speck of the bran until it's all gone, weirdos. I've used the same cup since they were day olds, and now they will go anywhere that the Brown Cup goes. It's a visual training stimulus in addition to the noise I've trained them with.

Here's the AMAZINGLY informative forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming/7680#post_14485209

I do, but I've started keeping a separate tray in the bucket (with bran in it) where I place any pupae or beetles that I find. I did that for several weeks in preparation for a clean out, so I know most of the eggs were in the separate, fresh bin. When I feed the chickens, I just scoop out a cup of everything - the chickens will eat it all (worms, pupae, beetles, bran); in fact, they'll sit there and pick at every speck of the bran until it's all gone, weirdos. I've used the same cup since they were day olds, and now they will go anywhere that the Brown Cup goes. It's a visual training stimulus in addition to the noise I've trained them with.

Here's the AMAZINGLY informative forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming/7680#post_14485209
Mine eat the bran as well. Thank you for the link. Maybe I'll try it with some of the worms I have now.

Does anyone know where I could get only one EE chick (pullet) in Minnesota? I only want one so I can't order from a hatchery or anything and I would like to get one asap. I'd even be interested in a older pullet........I can't really find any place near here. Any advice?

Better picture of my new girl. Praying she lays me green or blue eggs!
fl.gif
D.gif

I've used the same cup since they were day olds, and now they will go anywhere that the Brown Cup goes. It's a visual training stimulus in addition to the noise I've trained them with.
LOL Mine follow the green grain scoop every where it goes. Even after I dump their scratch out they follow the empty scoop back to the garage. Crazy chickens!

Does anyone know where I could get only one EE chick (pullet) in Minnesota? I only want one so I can't order from a hatchery or anything and I would like to get one asap. I'd even be interested in a older pullet........I can't really find any place near here. Any advice?

I live in Minnesota. I have EE and would sell you a chick but it will not be for 2-3 months until I have any. I am selling a person some eggs for hatching today. I have mainly blue egg layers. Have you thought about trying to hatch your own?

There are many feed stores that will sell you one chick, however, it is hit or miss whether or not they have a EE in stock. Most of the feed stores will not have chicks for 3 months yet though.

Sorry, I do not want to part with any of my hens/pullets at this time.

Last edited:

We have them living wild in our barn.

Quote: I have thought about hatching, but I don't have a incubator and my Silkie (she's 33 weeks) isn't even laying let alone wanting to go broody. And I'd be worried about getting a rooster (I live in town). I'll let you know if I'll be interested in a chick in a few months... Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom