Easter Egger club!

My new babies! Brooder is ready, just waiting for them to dry. I noticed the first pips last night and since these are my first hatchlings I couldn't leave their side. I thought I had ruined my beloved's first Valentine's together. He woke me this morning to make sure I was there for the second hatching. He had the brooder all set up with a new lid that is heavy enough to keep the kitties from knocking it off. He had even set up a flashlight so I could see into the incubator better. I have one more blue egg that is not showing any progress, no pips, and 3 brown eggs that are not showing anything either. Lockdown started on Friday, so I guess I will just keep waiting.

Mom and Dad.

So cute! I love them!

I want to get some EE chicks this year I notice that they are small chickens. I have 16 hens being a mix of RIR and RB do you think they would do well in a flock of this nature. I would not put them with the other birds until they are 20 weeks old.

Last edited:
I want to get some EE chicks this year I notice that they are small chickens. I have 16 hens being a mix of RIR and RB do you think they would do well in a flock of this nature. I would not put them with the other birds until they are 20 weeks old.
I think the size depends on the mix of breeds. Mine come from Ameraucana without mixed breeds. They are pretty good sized chickens. My EE hen is as big as my Red Layer. If they are mixed with smaller breeds or bantams they would, of course be smaller. I had bantams in with my EEs and there was no problems even with my little banty cockerel.

I think it depends on the EE, One of mine is small, the other is the "heaviest" of my flock. But she is also the lowest on the pecking order... where the smallest one is 4th out of 6. so who knows what will happen?

Goose, smallest of the bunch, 4th in pecking order

I have a mixed flock. she doesn't look the biggest, but she is the heaviest if you lift her up, Baby, last in pecking order, she is a sweeheart.

Last edited:
. This is adolf

First egg is a great thing congrats! I have read that the EE's are crossed with other breeds and not true americauna or oricauna so it is always possible to get eggs of other colors. But ours are all very sweet and good layers anyway.

First egg is a great thing congrats! I have read that the EE's are crossed with other breeds and not true americauna or oricauna so it is always possible to get eggs of other colors. But ours are all very sweet and good layers anyway.
yes they're crosses and usually they have the genes for the blue eggs even if it's just one gene. i guess she's just a carrier maybe i'll breed her to the EE roo and hopefully get colored egg layers this time

Back
Top Bottom