Easter Egger club!

So we go tomorrow to pick up our 5 week old pullets from the 4-H kids. I'm very excited, I haven't had chickens since I was a kid. Two of the 6 we are getting are "Ameraucana/Araucana" which I now understand to be Easter Eggers. Am I correct in that understanding? I believe the kids got them from the Murray McMurray Hatchery.

I'm noticing that some of the Easter Eggers have that beard while others do not. I have to admit the beard makes me very happy. So my question is this, at 5 weeks old will the chicks beards be developed enough that I'll be able to tell which will have them and which will not?

Thanks,
Paul

What do yall think pullet ?? Fiona is my 6 week old ee and sone have been saying roo i really hope not !!

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the more experienced chicken people can answer. First, I am having trouble figuring out which is the round end of my RSL eggs. She is with my EE roo and I really am trying to get some Olive Eggers but have not been able to hatch a single chick out of her. I know the roo is doing his part and that part of the problem is that I cannot stay out of the incubator. Today I am trying a new batch and want to make sure there is no error on may part.

Second question is what do I tell people who are interested in buying my EE chicks, but want to know if they are Ameraucanas. They are from full bred stock, but were bred across color lines so not officially Ameraucana. Since I am new at this and only superficially know the difference I would like to be more informed so I can actually explain it to others.

So we go tomorrow to pick up our 5 week old pullets from the 4-H kids. I'm very excited, I haven't had chickens since I was a kid. Two of the 6 we are getting are "Ameraucana/Araucana" which I now understand to be Easter Eggers. Am I correct in that understanding? I believe the kids got them from the Murray McMurray Hatchery.

I'm noticing that some of the Easter Eggers have that beard while others do not. I have to admit the beard makes me very happy. So my question is this, at 5 weeks old will the chicks beards be developed enough that I'll be able to tell which will have them and which will not?

Thanks,
Paul
usually if they have puffy cheeks as chicks or juveniles they will have more prominent beards as adults.

Second question is what do I tell people who are interested in buying my EE chicks, but want to know if they are Ameraucanas. They are from full bred stock, but were bred across color lines so not officially Ameraucana. Since I am new at this and only superficially know the difference I would like to be more informed so I can actually explain it to others.
usually most people have already been confused by hatcheries selling EEs as Ameraucaunas. Since you're birds are crossed purebreds they are EEs. I would sell them as EEs and leave it at that. if you try to explain that they are still purebred but crossed they will get confused.

IF you meet someone who KNOWS the truth about Ameraucaunas, EEs and the hatcheries you can explain that your birds are purebred but have been mated with different ameraucana varieties and would be higher quality EEs.

usually most people have already been confused by hatcheries selling EEs as Ameraucaunas. Since you're birds are crossed purebreds they are EEs. I would sell them as EEs and leave it at that. if you try to explain that they are still purebred but crossed they will get confused.

IF you meet someone who KNOWS the truth about Ameraucaunas, EEs and the hatcheries you can explain that your birds are purebred but have been mated with different ameraucana varieties and would be higher quality EEs.
Thanks. I have found so far the most just want the blue eggs, which is why I got them in the first place. And they are so pretty. As long as they don't want to show them, it doesn't seem to matter.

Hey all, I know I just joined this site and all. I have 4 Easter eggers. We are still working on names for them. I have an Easter Egger Roo too. two of my girls are laying now (just started) and two are still about a month away. Quick question.. I hear EEs don't go broody very often. Is this true? Would I be better off buying an incubator when the time comes or take my chances. I absolutely love my EEs and my lone RIR as well, And would love to raise more. Id love to get an olive egger too but have no clue how. The blue is pretty but Id love a variety.

Back
Top Bottom