Easter Egger club!

Hey all, I know I just joined this site and all. I have 4 Easter eggers. We are still working on names for them. I have an Easter Egger Roo too. two of my girls are laying now (just started) and two are still about a month away. Quick question.. I hear EEs don't go broody very often. Is this true? Would I be better off buying an incubator when the time comes or take my chances. I absolutely love my EEs and my lone RIR as well, And would love to raise more. Id love to get an olive egger too but have no clue how. The blue is pretty but Id love a variety.
Hi, welcome fellow newbie. I also have EE's and RSL's. From what I understand, if you breed your EE roo with a hen that lays brown eggs, the resulting chickens will be Olive eggers. I hope that is correct, because that is what I have been trying. My EE's have never gone broody and I use an incubator. But in the next couple of weeks I am getting a couple of Orpingtons or Wyandottes as I have heard that they will go broody and will even take care of the other chickens eggs. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, because I do not want to give bad info or try to work with bad info. My EE girls are all name for the companions on Dr Who. The piggies we are going to start raising this summer are all going to have Scottish names and the goats are all going to be named for Dairy cow breeds. My RSLs just have numbers right now because I cannot figure out names for them either.

Hi, welcome fellow newbie. I also have EE's and RSL's. From what I understand, if you breed your EE roo with a hen that lays brown eggs, the resulting chickens will be Olive eggers. I hope that is correct, because that is what I have been trying. My EE's have never gone broody and I use an incubator. But in the next couple of weeks I am getting a couple of Orpingtons or Wyandottes as I have heard that they will go broody and will even take care of the other chickens eggs. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, because I do not want to give bad info or try to work with bad info. My EE girls are all name for the companions on Dr Who. The piggies we are going to start raising this summer are all going to have Scottish names and the goats are all going to be named for Dairy cow breeds. My RSLs just have numbers right now because I cannot figure out names for them either.
I hope that would work because my Roo and my RIR LOVE eachother and that would be an easy way to get'er done. :) Thanks!

Flockofbantams
I saw the picture of the flock and then Bella. What a beautiful bunch! Bella is real cute. Is your Barred Rock a EE too. I have a B.R. that is a mix with an Ameraucana and she looks all B.R. except she has whiskers and ear tufts. She's real pretty. I also have some blue EE's. Love my birds. Your EE's looked like good sized birds. Very nice.

W2teals, I must be lucky, I have an EE that has gone broody two times in the last year. She is a great mother. Her babies are almost 4 weeks old and she takes just as good care of them now as at first. I have incubated 3 times and only had babies hatched by a broody once and wow what a difference! So nice to not have to anything with them. It's great fun watching all the things going on with them also. Only draw back was that I didn't get to watch them being hatched.

What breed is RSL, sorry I'm not up on all the breeds. I hope that's true about breeding ee's and brown egg layers because I'm going to get a collar for my EE roo and let him do his thing. Most of mine are brown egg layers. I guess I better get busy and quit talking about it.

Paul I have EE's that are 11 weeks old and I think they were real young when I noticed the whiskers. I'm thinking a couple of weeks old. I will go back in my pictures and look but I'm sure it was very early. I have pictures in my profile of them. They're blue.

Paul Raye, I went back and looked at pictures of my EE's when they were newborn and you can see their little furry cheeks. Here is a picture of one of them. He is a very colorful guy now and I just love him.

Back
Top Bottom