Easter Egger club!

It's a black and white rooster with a partridge Silkie hen.

Then probably not . The rooster may carry silver and gold . Which would not help . Even if he has 2 copies of silver the male chicks will carry silver and gold making them hard to tell from silver pullets .

It's a black and white rooster with a partridge Silkie hen.

Then probably not . The rooster may carry silver and gold . Which would not help . Even if he has 2 copies of silver the male chicks will carry silver and gold making them hard to tell from silver pullets .
OK. Thanks so much for the info! I'm excited to find out what the chick will look like. It's due to hatch in a week.

I think sometimes pullets DO have a white spot but it's smaller and not quite as bold. But I'm no expert.
The white head spot indicates the presence of the barring gene. A female can only have a head spot if her father was barred. Barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring. This is why black sexlinks are sexable at hatch.

My black EE (half australorp). Unfortunately she pass away this summer.
Awe very sad, she was lovely. Here's a picture of my all black EE. She is still pretty young (I think about 18-23 weeks)

Last edited:
Got a stupid question for anyone....
hatched out some chicks a couple of weeks ago, one chick that is white I thought was a White Rock, is now getting puffy checks, she DID NOT have up until now. Is it possible for an EE to " grow into " the puffy checks, or do I have something weird going on with my chick? I thought EE all were born with the puffy??
If it is a EE that is great cause I am always trying to hatch EE's ( have the worst luck with them ) I can hatch all the other eggs fine, but EE give me fits!!

Got a stupid question for anyone....
hatched out some chicks a couple of weeks ago, one chick that is white I thought was a White Rock, is now getting puffy checks, she DID NOT have up until now. Is it possible for an EE to " grow into " the puffy checks, or do I have something weird going on with my chick? I thought EE all were born with the puffy??
If it is a EE that is great cause I am always trying to hatch EE's ( have the worst luck with them ) I can hatch all the other eggs fine, but EE give me fits!!

Can you send us a picture? I have 2 EE's, at least I was told they are, that have no muffs, beards, etc.

Back
Top Bottom