Easter Egger club!

Quote:
I usually put eggs on the counter, but this particular one needed a good washing. I never leave washed eggs on the counter. Thank you for the lesson though. If anyone who doesn't already know reads it, you've freed their fridge.
wink.png

Last edited:
I make a round through the yard about 3 times a week - no hidden eggs I can find. I feed them layer feed- everyone is at point of lay or past it. I give mealworms and BOSS for a snack every day, put out strawberry tops and greens for extra nutrition. they also free range. I think it may be due to the number of hours of daylight - so hoping soon there will be enough to encourage an egg.

I make a round through the yard about 3 times a week - no hidden eggs I can find. I feed them layer feed- everyone is at point of lay or past it. I give mealworms and BOSS for a snack every day, put out strawberry tops and greens for extra nutrition. they also free range. I think it may be due to the number of hours of daylight - so hoping soon there will be enough to encourage an egg.
Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. It's got barely enough protein to support egg production, and it's intended to be the only thing offered. Free ranging can reduce the overall protein intake. If you switch to layer feed too early, you can dramatically slow down the rate of development. I have found that Easter Eggers need a higher protein intake, especially when they are point of lay.

Would adding 'feather fixer' to their diet help with their protein intake? Or do you recommend something else? After they're all laying, that it.

if I want to up the protein in my breeding bird without changing feeds I add in some catfish food. it is usually 30% or higher in protein and nothing in it is harmful to chickens

Would adding 'feather fixer' to their diet help with their protein intake? Or do you recommend something else? After they're all laying, that it.

if I want to up the protein in my breeding bird without changing feeds I add in some catfish food. it is usually 30% or higher in protein and nothing in it is harmful to chickens

Would Turkey grow or Gamebird feed higher in protein be okay too?

I have 3 pullets old enough to lay. 2 are EE and I've seen both in the nesting boxes. The other is a speckled sussex, never seen her try to lay. But a couple of eggs are either dark green or brown. I've recv light blue, green and either dark green or brown. I think all coming from the ee...what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom