Easter Egger club!

FINALLY got my first egg. I am sooooo excited. My grandson ate it immediately. Well cooked first of course. So it was a brown egg. Should I assume it wasn't one of my Easter eggers? We measured up with medium store bought eggs. Very close in size. Now I feel like I need to check a couple times a day. Whoever laid it didn't used the nesting boxes. She made her own nest in the coop.

FINALLY got my first egg. I am sooooo excited. My grandson ate it immediately. Well cooked first of course. So it was a brown egg. Should I assume it wasn't one of my Easter eggers? We measured up with medium store bought eggs. Very close in size. Now I feel like I need to check a couple times a day. Whoever laid it didn't used the nesting boxes. She made her own nest in the coop.

AWESOME and congratulations!!!!
Yes, an easter egger could have laid that egg.

One of my August Girls just layed her first. At least I think is was one of them, it looks too small to be Muffins', and hers are more greenish...

WHAT A HAPPY KID!
FIRST-TIME EGG-LAYERS CAN SOMETIMES TAKE A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT THE NESTBOXES. DID YOU PUT FAKE EGGS IN THE NESTBOXES TO GIVE THE PULLETS AN IDEA OF WHERE THEY SHOULD BE LAYING? I HAVE AN OLDER SILKIE THAT STILL DROPS AN EGG IN THE YARD ONCE IN A WHILE. CAN'T FIGURE IF SHE'S TOO LAZY TO GET TO THE COOP OR WHAT!?

Yes we have two fake eggs so I have one of course in two seperate boxes. What is the height that the box should be? I wonder if that's an issue.

She sat in the nest box for last two days in fake egg. Does she actually think it's hers since we stole her egg. Even though it wasn't in the box?

Can't be broody first egg could she? That would be just my luck.

Yes we have two fake eggs so I have one of course in two seperate boxes. What is the height that the box should be? I wonder if that's an issue.

She sat in the nest box for last two days in fake egg. Does she actually think it's hers since we stole her egg. Even though it wasn't in the box?

Can't be broody first egg could she? That would be just my luck.

My boxes have always been either on the coop floor of our new Barn Coop or raised about 18 inches with an 8-inch platform in front of the row of boxes and a ladder ramp going up to the nestbox ramp (I have Silkies that need the assist from a ramp). Pullets don't usually go broody on their first egg. Chickens like seclusion for laying eggs. Sometimes a half-curtain over the nestboxes or using round-hole nestbox entrances will entice hens to lay their eggs there.

BARN COOP W/ NESTS AT FLOOR LEVEL - I HAVE SINCE ADDED DIVIDERS BETWEEN THE NESTS FOR PRIVACY.

OLD COOP W/ ROUND-HOLE NESTBOXES ARE 18-IN ABOVE FLOOR LEVEL W/ A NESTBOX PLATFORM & LADDER. THE CHICKENS LIKE TO WALK ON THE PLATFORM.

I have four on floor level. I have a 3" lip on them and they are fully enclosed accept for the front. I made three different sizes because I have a variety of sized girls. They are tucked back in a corner which doesn't get much chicken traffic. I have a cabinet that I keep some supplies in that butts right up against the left end and the right end goes up against the outer wall. I can take a picture and attach and maybe someone can tell me if they are acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom