Easter Egger club!

Me! I'm a big fan of Easter Eggers.

I have a mixed flock and I notice that the EE's eggs are harder to crack than those from my other birds. It seems like they always crush. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a mixed flock and I notice that the EE's eggs are harder to crack than those from my other birds. It seems like they always crush. Anyone else have this problem?
If you are feeding layer feed, that might be part of the problem with the super hard eggs. Easter Eggers tend to need more protein to produce eggs than other breeds. Which means they need to eat more low protein layer feed to meet their protein needs. That also means they are taking in more calcium. Switching to a starter or grower feed, and allowing the hens to regulate their calcium needs via crushed oyster shell may help.

Ok! Thanks @junebuggena! I was planning on switching based on other things I've heard. I still have 2 bags of layer feed, I might get some starter, and mix them until the other stuff is gone. I have been giving them some plain yogurt to up the protein, but it also has a lot of calcium.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom