Easter Egger Hen, yellow droppings, bald Red bottom - PHOTOS INCLUDED.

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
For a while I have noticed that my Easter Egger Hen has had a bald bottom. I thought it was a part of the molting process. But it has been forever and there is not much growth of feathers, only stubs of feathers.. Her bottom looks red and irritated in areas where it is bald. I have also noticed recently that she has yellow droppings, sometimes runny, sometimes solid. I know she has been laying, because we only have two EE's.

I have not seen anyone pecking at her and we do not have a rooster.

She eats Dumor Egg Layer feed. She also has access to fresh greens, water, oyster shells and grit.

Here are photos:

IMG_4361-1.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
J.

Last edited:
She could have a case of plumage mites. Any signs of bugs on her? A good dusting with food grade DE would do the trick. You'll also want to treat the coop with poultry dust to keep mites/lice under control.

I have not idea about any of this. I would like to say that those are some really gross chicken butt pictures though! How on earth did you get your chicken to bend over to expose her, umm, bum, and hold that position long enough to get such a close and clear picture? I am curious.

Sorry for the gross photos. I just thought it might help in solving the problem. I had my daughter hold her and I lifted her tail. It was not the funnest of jobs. LOL There was some very serious hand washing afterwards. But, I was willing if it meant I could help her.

I have not seen bugs on her. So I am not sure what to think.

Last edited:
I'd probably start with some neosporin over the affected area, worm her and give her some vitamins.

And you are certain she is laying??????

Almost looks like she was pooping broken egg.

The poo looks like possible broken egg, and it looks like someone has been picking her feathers. I have birds like that (except for the poo) and after using blu-kote, rooster booster pick no more, etc. they all wound up with pinless peepers, which has allowed them to regrow a lot of their feathers. We still have some bare bums, though. I haven't seen any mites on my birds.

Back
Top Bottom