Easter Egger or Ameraucana?

feelyweely

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2016
I may be getting chickens and I can't decide whether I should get an Easter Egger or Ameraucana. Both breeds have the qualities i want. I really want the chicken to have the muffs and beard, do ameraucanas have the muffs and beard life the easter egger? which breed should i get?!?!?! Thanks!
D.gif

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Unless you buy a specific variety from a breeder you will NOT get Ameraucana. All feed stores even if labeled Ameraucana are selling EE.

EE is essentially the same thing except doesn't conform to the Standard of Perfection. Same beards and muffs.

Personally Ameraucana are much calmer than EE. But all birds are individuals regardless of breed. And Am's should lay blue while you may get blue, green, or brown with the EE.

I have both. Ameraucana's lay beautiful eggs and I enjoy their personality, but they definitely aren't the first ones to lay. EE have such a wide variety that some lay cool colors, and some have really cool personalities. But others don't. But I do love how different EE look.

So I would say it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Because EE are definitely cheaper.

I may be getting chickens and I can't decide whether I should get an Easter Egger or Ameraucana. Both breeds have the qualities i want. I really want the chicken to have the muffs and beard, do ameraucanas have the muffs and beard life the easter egger? which breed should i get?!?!?! Thanks!
D.gif

I have both and definitely prefer the EE's (unless you want to show.) The EE's lay more eggs, and they lay at a younger age (by about a month) than the Ameraucanas. And as far as color, I am actually getting a prettier blue from some of my EE's.
Also, they are less expensive. A day old EE pullet may cost you three dollars plus change while an Ameraucana can run $10.00 to $20.00 and even up.
Both My Pet Chicken and I believe Meyer's carry real Ameraucanas (They tell you which color) but if you gen Ameraucanas from many hatcheries, you are buying EE's. This site is full of people complaining how they "bought and paid for" Ameraucanas only to find they have EE's.

Back
Top Bottom