Easter Egger question

chickenpredatorkiller

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
South Carolina
I have three easter eggers and I was wonder if there are traits that they could have that would make them more likely to lay blue/green eggs rather than brown. (due to being closer to Ameraucanas) Anyone have any ideas?

I've noticed with my EEs that most of the time their leg color coincides with their egg color (slate legs=blue eggs, green legs=green eggs). Its not always true though. I've had some hens with VERY blue legs lay light brown eggs, but most of the time that's the way it goes.
Nikki

I have 3 girls all with green legs, 1 lays almost a robin blue, one lays an aqua and one lays a light olive green... EE's are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get
big_smile.png

Remember that Ameraucanas and Araucanas were developed from the Easter Eggers, not the other way around. Many people are not aware of that.

The only clue that I’m aware of is that the blue egg gene tends to follow the pea comb. One of the genetics experts on here said that happens about 97% of the time, so if it has a pea comb, your odds improve. Of course that depends some on whether there are other pea combed chickens in the ancestry.

Back
Top Bottom