Easter Egger without a beard?

wwin

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
Long Beach, Ca.
A few months ago I ordered two Easter Egger chicks from Dare 2 Dream Farms. There were some bumps and miscommunication with delivery so I'm a little uneasy. I know EE come in a variety of colors and I've heard occasionally without beards, but they both seem quite different from each other I'm beginning to wonder if the white and black one is an EE. She hs no beard or muff and is leaner and longer than the brown one. She's beautiful but her head and neck seem to be very different than the other EE.

Last edited:
Since EE are crossbreds with a wide range of genes, their appearances can be quite different from one another. Both of your birds are EE.

Easter Egger is just a generic name that was originally meant to cover any chicken that was not a pure bred or did not meet pure bred standards but carried a blue egg gene...

Nowadays the term Easter Egger pretty much means any barnyard mix, that lays a non-white eggs, heck when it comes to some hatcheries even white eggs are acceptable... Some breeders and hatcheries still reserve the name to blue egg gene carrying birds, but that is not a hard followed rule for hatcheries...

Thus there is no definitive Easter Egger look, sure some might lend themselves to look like Araucanas or Ameraucanas or some other pure bred blue layer that they were derived from, but those looks will solely depend on the cross breeds that particular breeder or hatchery used and what generation removed from the pure breeds the birds are...

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I do think she's an Easter Egger. Besides the clean face, she has the classic look for a silver EE hen.

There have been quite a bit of clean faced EE the last two years or so. Pity, cause the beard and muffs are so cool looking!

Back
Top Bottom