TheFugitivePen

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Eastern Tennessee
Hello, chicken friends!

New chicken keeper here, and I would love to add some birds to our flock. I've heard that Easter Eggers have wonderful personalities and can be quite friendly.
I'd love to hear stories about any Easter Eggers in your flocks, what you love about them, and even what you may find less loveable. I love reading about everyone's flocks and experiences! :)

Thank you!

Like all breeds, there are individual differences. Not all are super friendly. I happen to have mostly extremely friendly EEs, but two of the older ones absolutely fly apart at the slightest indication I may touch them.

I love their little beards and muffs. They like to sink into their beard and muff fluff, seeming to derive a certainly sense of security in thinking they're hiding.

A few of my EEs absolutely know and respond to their names, and will pop up their heads when they hear me say them. Some will come to me to be picked up and cuddled. I think they're likely my favorite breed.

We have two Easter eggers who are quite different… from each other. To be blunt one of them is extremely stupid. I so far do like the breed a lot (luckily her stupidity just tends to be endearing at this point). Her sister is actually quite smart. They both can fly pretty well and seem to be rather good free rangers. They both have the mutton chopped look which I adore (it’s also very soft). They haven’t laid eggs just yet but so far they have both managed to stay alive. They are one of our few breed duos that has managed to keep both members. We named the stupid one Baba Yaga she’s a scruffy gal with not a thought in her head. On the bright side though she’s a great model lol. But our smart one (Hawk) is actually quite an ideal chicken thus far. Here are some pictures of the two! I don’t have many of Hawk as Baba tends to steal the spotlight lmao. DD237A2D-875F-41A1-BCDB-F077984EBCDB.jpeg 50A07947-19D2-4207-9B23-415750A2414B.jpeg B2BB0673-1E9B-45C7-9419-9AD209F2CB0C.jpeg C55298BF-EB4B-47F8-90A3-8CC9AF973742.jpeg 4B1C8925-36C9-4B32-B9E6-3474701BCBE2.jpeg 1364F929-0CC0-4927-AAE6-D9A5768528F1.jpeg

We have two Easter eggers who are quite different… from each other. To be blunt one of them is extremely stupid. I so far do like the breed a lot (luckily her stupidity just tends to be endearing at this point). Her sister is actually quite smart. They both can fly pretty well and seem to be rather good free rangers. They both have the mutton chopped look which I adore (it’s also very soft). They haven’t laid eggs just yet but so far they have both managed to stay alive. They are one of our few breed duos that has managed to keep both members. We named the stupid one Baba Yaga she’s a scruffy gal with not a thought in her head. On the bright side though she’s a great model lol. But our smart one (Hawk) is actually quite an ideal chicken thus far. Here are some pictures of the two! I don’t have many of Hawk as Baba tends to steal the spotlight lmao. View attachment 3312440View attachment 3312441View attachment 3312442View attachment 3312443View attachment 3312444View attachment 3312445
They are both SO pretty! And I love that their personalities are polar opposites! :lol: How fun!

I have 3 EE roosters, all are friendly, but shy.

We have 4 EE hens, 1 is very friendly, 2 are friendly, but also somewhat dramatic, 1 is very dramatic.

I have 2 Pullets, a Fibro EE, & a Green Queen. I haven't seen their full personalities yet. They were just introduced into their adult coops a few days ago.

They both can be a bit skittish they aren’t super cuddly or anything but they will hop up for treats.
That sounds a lot like our Australorps.
As chicks, they warmed up to use at about 2 weeks old. A couple were super skittish, but the rest eventually loved climbing all over us or being held. However, once they were in the run and fully feathered, good luck touching any of them. They were super skittish.
Now that most of them are laying, they've chilled out considerably. Three, in particular, will greet us at the run door and squat if you get close enough. Snuggly or asking for pets? No. But they're gentle and tolerate us ... so long as we keep the treats coming lol. They still take flight at the slightest unknown sound or sudden movement.

I have 3 EE roosters, all are friendly, but shy.

We have 4 EE hens, 1 is very friendly, 2 are friendly, but also somewhat dramatic, 1 is very dramatic.

I have 2 Pullets, a Fibro EE, & a Green Queen. I haven't seen their full personalities yet. They were just introduced into their adult coops a few days ago.
That's so fun!

We have an Australorp named "Drama." She was always one of the most skittish of our hens. She's chilled a tiny bit since she started laying, but not by much. Good luck catching her if she's not roosting.

It sounds like yours have a lot of personality! That must be delightful!

Back
Top Bottom