Easy Access Medication for respiratory issues? (Sneezing and runny nose)? Please help!

malika621

Chirping
Jul 8, 2015
Loganville, Georgia
Hello all. If you could help me find some medication that will be easy to get my hands on without getting a prescription, please tell me. I've tried VetRx and herbs. . . And it got a bit better, but it isn't getting rid of it so far.
There isn't an avian vet close to me (grrr) and since all antibiotics are now off the shelves, I don't know what to do! :barnie
I'm guessing this is a respiratory problem. . . And I haven't a clue how they got it! I clean the runs and houses x2 a month. . . And their water is ALWAYS clean. No one else with chickens has even been on my property. . . And they don't free range.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
~Varied ages and sizes, but some are a bit thin.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
~Sneezing, stretching necks, runny noses,. . . But all are still eating and drinking normally and are otherwise acting normal

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
~1 month-ish

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
~YES

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
~No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
~It's been extremely wet and rainy this year...?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
~Chick feed, laying feed, scratch, and veggies and fruits (fresh watermelon, beans, corn, etc. . )

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
~Some is runny (I've already treated for Cocci before they started noticeably sneezing...)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
~Corid to begin with, just started ACV, started VetRx about a week ago, and herbs (basil, thyme, and oregano)... They also had lice that I have been treating with revolution, ACV, and Adams Flea and Tick Spray

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
~I would have to drive an hour++ to find a vet. I would prefer to treat this by myself!! Plus, I'm in a tight spot for money right now... I could come up with it, but the money I have is for gas and my next semester of college... Every penny counts.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
~No pictures, but you can imagine the runny noses and such. They look normal otherwise... (Well, they're a tiny bit muddy because of the rain lol)

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
~Pine shavings and sand

This year has been rough. Maybe it's the weather...? Or just a bad year. :hit Thank you all for any help. . .

Can you post a few pictures of your birds?
If they are eating "good" and still are thin they may have worms also.

Tylan is an antibiotic still sold at TSC.
Can you at least take poop samples to the nearest dog vet for a fecal test? It's very cheap.

Last edited:
Injectible antibiotics are still available OTC.

So the injectable for cows and such are fine...? How do I go about doing that?

Can you at least take poop samples to the nearest dog vet for a fecal test? It's very cheap.

They were wormed about 3 months ago. My local vets refuse to do poultry... but I'll see I they'll just do a fecal test. What DO I ask them to test for?
So Tylan 50 inectable for cattle is fine...? How do I go about doing that?

I'll go get some pictures of a few. They're eating the same (if not more). They lost a little weight from the lice.

Will the fecal test show the type of infection?
Here are a few pics. . . Forgot to mention some of their eyes are also watery. I noticed that the day before yesterday. One or two few look a little swollen...
20170707_141905.jpg

20170707_141410.jpg
20170707_141056.jpg
20170707_141048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom