Easy DIY Heated Waterer

ffrisone

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Harford County, MD
So, my bucket de-icer died on me Christmas Eve. And we have been hit HARD with this cold snap coming through. We don't normally see temps below zero or close to it. I needed to come up with something quickly, until I could replace the de-icer. I put together a temporary heated waterer contraption that worked GREAT. The water never iced up and stayed at a good temp, not too warm. I recommend this set up for a smaller flock. Make certain you use a clear incandescent bulb and position it at least a couple inches from the lid. This bulb is 100w. We had temps down to 2 degrees over night and water never froze. I ran it 24hr but you don't have to. If you don't, you need to start each day with fresh water. I didn't because I knew I was going to replace the de-icer soon AND I didn't want to risk the plastic waterer breaking from icing up. All you need is a porcelain light fixture, light bulb, a section of extension cord and a tall cookie/popcorn tin. BTW, I did use a small bolt and nut to secure the fixture to the tin. BE SURE to put the tin lid back on before setting your waterer on it... and there you have it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_131959.jpg
    IMG_20221225_131959.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20221225_131948.jpg
    IMG_20221225_131948.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221225_131900.jpg
    IMG_20221225_131900.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I always keep a back up to my winter waterer. You never know when anything that runs on electricity is going to die. My back up is a heated dog bowl.
Agreed. So, I have two heated waterers running. One is a 5 gal bucket with nipples on the bottom, which has a bucket de-icer in it. That's the one that died on me, frozen solid. The other one is a larger container, with nipples on the side (toward the bottom) and that one also has a de-icer in it. That one was working to keep the water freed up, but the nipples were frozen and wouldn't free up. That's when I put this light bulb cookie tin heater together, which worked great until I could replace the broken bucket de-icer. I feel like two heated waterers is essential, in case one fouls up. Water is always important of course, but inadequate water intake is even more deadly to chickens in cold weather.

So, my bucket de-icer died on me Christmas Eve. And we have been hit HARD with this cold snap coming through. We don't normally see temps below zero or close to it. I needed to come up with something quickly, until I could replace the de-icer. I put together a temporary heated waterer contraption that worked GREAT. The water never iced up and stayed at a good temp, not too warm. I recommend this set up for a smaller flock. Make certain you use a clear incandescent bulb and position it at least a couple inches from the lid. This bulb is 100w. We had temps down to 2 degrees over night and water never froze. I ran it 24hr but you don't have to. If you don't, you need to start each day with fresh water. I didn't because I knew I was going to replace the de-icer soon AND I didn't want to risk the plastic waterer breaking from icing up. All you need is a porcelain light fixture, light bulb, a section of extension cord and a tall cookie/popcorn tin. BTW, I did use a small bolt and nut to secure the fixture to the tin. BE SURE to put the tin lid back on before setting your waterer on it... and there you have it.
Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom