Eating duck eggs because of chicken egg allergies

savingdogs, get the to a gastroenterologist! Pronto!

You have a lot of the symptoms of Celiac Disease. IBS symptoms are identical to Celiac. Celiac can also cause multiple random unrelated food allergies.

My 2nd son always had bowel issues. From birth. I thought he was allergic to milk. I had him allergy tested before age 1, and nothing showed up. Still I put him on rice milk.

I had him tested again at age 4. He had about 10 food allergies, dog allergy, and pollen/plant allergies. Pretty strong pollen allergies. One of his allergies was wheat. At the gluten free store, where I was asking patrons and the owner what in the world to feed my son, they suggested he MIGHT have Celiac. They explained that Celiac damages the gut, so that other foods aren't digested properly and thus the body reacts to them. After gluten is eliminated, the gut heals, and often the food allergies go away with time.

If you have any history in your family (grandparents, great-grandparents, even) of any kind of autoimmune disorders such as thyroid, diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, allergies, etc., your chances of having Celiac go up. My grandmother had Celiac, and we have other autoimmune disorders in the family.

I kept my son on rye, since that was the only grain with gluten he wasn't also clinically allergic to. I got him to the gastroenterologist as soon as I could. They did a blood test, which came back positive for Celiac. Then the biopsy of the gut. And it was also positive.

So, once we took him off of all gluten, his bowel issues went away. He is also very, very healthy. He never gets sick, or if he does, it's for maybe one day and he's back to normal.

So please, please, please go to a gastroenterologist and INSIST on a Celiac blood panel ASAP. But don't stop eating gluten, because if you do, it may give you a false negative. You have to keep eating it till the biopsy is done, too. I am so grateful for the advice strangers gave me about my son. It may have saved his life.

I found this thread because my son is also allergic to eggs, and was begging me to let him try some quail egg tonight. I decided against it, but will have him tested for non-chicken egg allergies the next time we test him. I would love it if he could have duck or quail egg!

I did think some of the symptoms match, I was reading about a celiac patient who got a rash on her arms from kneading bread like I do.

I am due to see my primary care guy soon, I will bring that up. Thank you for your concern. I would like to find ways to feel healthier. I do HAVE an autoimmune disorder as well.

does anyone know how long the effect of feed in the duck egg would last. i have someone who is allergic to corn and theytold me that it gets passed to the egg. so now i am looking for feed that is not corn. and soon they will be free ranging.

i was just wondering how long it took for after the corn feed is stopped and alternate feed is started for the corn to be out of the ducks system.

also, does anyone know where i can look for articles on what can be passed to the egg from a duck? they people told me corn and oats. don't know if that is the list or what.

any help is appreciated.

Not sure exactly, but I would guess 2 weeks. It depends on how sensitive they are too. My son is allergic to oats, they are in our feed, and he doesn't react to the duck or goose eggs. In season they lay an egg everyday, so I would guess that 2 weeks would be fine. I think I talked with someone who was trying that out with their egg person farther away from here. Not sure how it went though.

It is nice to have some kind of binder in recipes that are allergy friendly. I made pizza "dough" with a goose egg, coconut flour, chia seed (subbed for flax), milk, salt, and oil tonight. It shrinks a little in the oven, but wasn't too bad.

Hi! Sorry I am late to the party here. I just wanted to chime in since I might give an idea to others out there for odds (I read this thread 2 or 3 times before my big experiment)

I have known I was allergic to chicken eggs for a few years now and just tried duck eggs (one whole duck egg for dinner 2 days in a row cooked through (no runny yolk)) and have not had any type of reaction.

For comparison I would get hives, nightmares, and sharp intestinal pains from as little as 1/2 a chicken egg unless it was cooked to crispy death... then 1 egg would be the marker.

I'm going to try runny yolk next (raw always bothers me more then cooked). I will post back if I have any adverse reactions. For now consider no news as good news.
wee.gif

UPDATE: To be clear I am also allergic to wheat and barley (not gluten). These were not my ducks they were Canadian commercially produced free run and not organic. So I assume that they ate both of these grains in their feed in some quantity.

Last edited:
Yeah! Glad to find another lucky ducky! I don't know why it works for some and not others, but I thought it was worth the risk to find out and you must have too! I eat mine with runny yolks, and I have found a good duck egg mayonnaise recipe here: http://www.saltyseattle.com/2009/10/the-devil-is-in-the-details-duck-eggs-al-diavolo/

Sometimes duck eggs have that fishy lake smell to them, but this recipe doesn't seem to mind. Something to think about if the runny goes ok...
The joy of cooking has a recipe I've used as well!

I'm allergic to chicken eggs and can eat my home-raised duck and quail eggs. I also raised chickens on the same feed and still couldn't eat the eggs. (I feed all my animals corn-only chicken feed). My first naturopathic doc told me there was casein in chicken eggs, which is dairy. This didn't make sense to me because why would dairy be in chicken eggs? I can't eat dairy either so that did make some sense. My second doc told me that wasn't true and it was what chicken mills feed their chickens (wheat).

Either way, I can't eat chicken eggs so i don't think it's what we/a mill feed(s) them.

Back
Top Bottom