Eating Pekin?

NewChcikenmommy!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Kingsland,Georgia
Hello
smile.png

This is our first go at raising duck. We have a couple of jumbo pekin, our female has just started laying (about a month ago) And our male is happily fertilizing YAY!
We are wanting to raise the babies for food purposes, are there threads of how to go about this? Raising them seemed to be the easy part, we have 4 eggs in the incubator, today is day 1, so hoping for at least 1 baby.

Is processing a duck like processing a chicken? Does anyone have photos they can share?
Thank you!

Brittany
~S.GA

Hi Brittany...I have processed and eaten a few Pekins - they are tasty! I find ducks much more of a challenge to process than chickens. So many more feathers on ducks and the pin feathers - don't get me started. There are certain ages when you should process your ducks so they are out of the pin feather stage. If not, get your tweezers ready!! They also seem to require a hotter scald water (160 degrees is what I use) than chickens. A great place to get some duck knowledge is the duck thread below - some truly dedicated duck keepers over there. Good luck to you!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom