Eating the eggs

My very first flock I added a pair of very tame sister hens like this. One, Fluff was an egg eater from shortly after she started laying. I used every trick listed above and in other guides and discussions and a few I made up on the fly. Nothing worked.
Fluff taught the rest of my little newbie flock and within a month I had 6 egg eaters... that I was sure of. I, with tears, sent the entire flock but the one sister who had never tried to eat eggs, to freezer camp and started over. Buff, the non egg eating sister, lived to a ripe old age and produced 6 eggs a week for most of her life. Queen of the flock. Never pecked a single egg.
No reason for Fluff to be an egg eater, her diet was terrific and her calcium supply very good, she just liked to eat eggs.

My very first flock I added a pair of very tame sister hens like this. One, Fluff was an egg eater from shortly after she started laying. I used every trick listed above and in other guides and discussions and a few I made up on the fly. Nothing worked.
Fluff taught the rest of my little newbie flock and within a month I had 6 egg eaters... that I was sure of. I, with tears, sent the entire flock but the one sister who had never tried to eat eggs, to freezer camp and started over. Buff, the non egg eating sister, lived to a ripe old age and produced 6 eggs a week for most of her life. Queen of the flock. Never pecked a single egg.
No reason for Fluff to be an egg eater, her diet was terrific and her calcium supply very good, she just liked to eat eggs.
They seem to kick the egg from the nest through the coop down the ramp, I put golf in there they done the same every morning it's down the ramp lol, I did get one egg Thursday, ate it today the little buggers have at the bottom of the ramp lol.

They seem to kick the egg from the nest through the coop down the ramp, I put golf in there they done the same every morning it's down the ramp lol, I did get one egg Thursday, ate it today the little buggers have at the bottom of the ramp lol.
I've seen that kicking thing before. I'd look at building a good egg retaining wall. Don't stress over making the nest box look like other people's or making it "pretty." Just make it large enough that a grumpy hen can lay her egg not on top of another's or more likely... work to fix it so they can't sit around in the nest box. I had a hen that would only lay in one box and if any other hen laid in it would kick the other's egg out before she laid.
She broke a couple of eggs and freaked me out since broken eggs are how hens get the egg eating idea.

Back
Top Bottom