eating your pet open discussion

Humane or not? Is that the question?
I have seen roosters fight to near death in this backyard. We raise chickens as natural as possible with respect, care and admiration. Then again... We have three growing boys ages 10, 16 and 17.
I was raised to raise for myself and my loved ones. I pray my boys can one day do the same.
We raise lots of chickens. We at times have too many roosters. That is not good for the flock or the feed bill.
We do not name these roosters, other than "Dinner". But when the exceptional one comes along with all the right traits, he gets a name.
Named birds here do not get butchered. They are breed and retired to the yard to live out a life of retirement after they have served us well, to make room for the next generation of breeders.
After all how many people do you know that would allow a rooster to walk in through the front door, stand in the living room and crow demanding his treat of bread? That is "Bud", my wives favorite Brahma. "Othelo" is another, an Ameracauna that has gotta be pushing 8 years old and one 2 ribbons at the local county fair.
So my answer to the discussion is... Yes we have pet chickens. And yes we have "Dinner".

I have a pet lettuce in my garden called "Roma". I will be so upset if someone eats her, Ill just let her turn yellow and die natural causes at the end of the season.
1f613.png

I see nothing wrong with eating "pet" poultry. I have ducks that I hand raised and they are my babies and lawn art. I don't plan on eating any of them, but that is because I'm attached. If they ever hatched out some ducklings I would consider eating them. I just got some chicks and depending how attached I get will dictate whether or not they will become dinner at some point.

[ frend ]

NOUN
noun: friend · plural noun: friends

1. a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection
I don't think my chickens have any affection for me. They like the things I provide them but they don't have affection. They are all instinct. If I fell over dead, they'd be pecking my eyeballs out within a day or so.

All my chickens live in a 5+star hotel! They have the best food,water and 2 yards all for themselves Yes they do have names, but in all their names there is a hint for their designation: Schnitzi- for Schnitzel , Ktzizi- for Ktziza= meatball in Hebrew and Souvlaki- for the nice greek dish!:)

Last edited:
I agree with what you guys are all saying, but the phrase "humanely slaughtered'', really doesn't make sense. I don't think you can kill anything humanely. Yeah, you can euthanize it, but taking away any being's life will never be considered humane by me. Just my opinion.

You dont see a difference between a instant painless death and a slow and agonizing one?

Back
Top Bottom