Ecoglow question, my mind is rattling to make one myself

conny63malies

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Annetta Kentucky
So my ADHD went off when i saw those Brinsea Ecoglow brooder heaters. I found them to be rather expensive. Thinking back to my Herper days owning snakes i had a idea. Could i use a 1-2ft strip off 11in wide Flexwatt heat tape mounted to a wood board(covered in aluminum heat tape ) to make my own ecoglow. Heat tapes are used to keep reptile tanks at temps similar to what chicks need. I can control the temperature with the help of a dimmer and/or a Rheostat temperature controller.
Flex watt tape : 3 $ ft
dimmer cable: 7 $ (or just a normal 2$ cable when the rheo is used)
temp control: 25 $ (max)
tape: 5 $.
boards, wood.... and other assorted stuff comes from what i have at home free. So for 40-45$ i would be able to to build a 12x 24 ft brooder heater. At 1ft it would pull 20 Watt and at 2ft 40Watt of course. I could make it where to i can raise and lower the whole thing depending on what i brood. In addition i also could run a second brooder off the rheostat for the price of the flexwatt and cable.(Or even more if i were to use all the same size brooders, heat tape and wire them in parallel. )
If it works for reptiles i also should work for chicks, ducklings.... To add: THe tape is supposed to be used under 95F , so i guess keeping it at 93F will work. THe controller will turn the power on and off as needed to keep a constant temp and the aluminum tape will reflect the heat in the right direction. Fastening a tile to the underside of the board between the tape and the board would also help with retaining heat when the power goes off.
i might draw up something later just in case you cant follow my rambling brain. lol.

Last edited:
Not sure if this would help or hurt the conversation, but the Ecoglows do not put off much heat and are described as a contact brooder. The chicks basically have to touch it to keep warm. I brood outside summer or winter and the Ecoglow is worthless in a non-temperature controlled space in the winter. Almost lost several chicks to this, but my own fault as the directions clearly state only for use in a temperature controlled area of 69 degress or higher.

Not sure if this would help or hurt the conversation, but the Ecoglows do not put off much heat and are described as a contact brooder. The chicks basically have to touch it to keep warm. I brood outside summer or winter and the Ecoglow is worthless in a non-temperature controlled space in the winter. Almost lost several chicks to this, but my own fault as the directions clearly state only for use in a temperature controlled area of 69 degress or higher.
Thank you for saying this! No one seems brave enough to talk bad about them because they spent so much money! I want to brood outside and I almost bought one! Thanks for speaking up!

Why not use the mama heating pad set up? 12x15 for $13 at Walmart. Works in temperature or not temperature controlled environment.

That is what I am using right now and it is working nicely with my group of 9 chicks. They are outside in the coop and are doing great with temps getting down into the lower 50's at night.

Back
Top Bottom