Economy Cooking from your pantry

Quote:
Thank you for that! That looks delicious. I am going to have to try that. I love that it's no knead!

If you will Google "Youtube no knead bread" you will find several how to videos on this bread.

I have yet to cabbage soup on here. I don't measure I just dump. tomato juice large can or two depending on how juicey you want it
1 head of cabbage chopped big pieces
hambugar i use 2.5 lbs
rice i use the long cook rice
I put the hambuger in the tomato juice and mix it so its small pieces then dump in the cabbage and how much ever rice i feel like add some water and let it cook on the stove till cabbage and rice are done. Last time I did this I added a jar of pasta sauce I add a bit much rice and didnt have a 2nd can of juice but it turned out good. It is good when it is not so soupy too .this will make a big pan.

Quote:
Your welcome...I have a chocolate one that's even easier if you like chocolate. I don't think I have a picture of it though.

sure, hand it over
tongue2.gif
We used to make cakes from scratch all the time when I was younger, probably got the recipes in 4H, but its hard to find a recipe that doesnt start with...1 box cake mix

Quote:
Your welcome...I have a chocolate one that's even easier if you like chocolate. I don't think I have a picture of it though.

sure, hand it over
tongue2.gif
We used to make cakes from scratch all the time when I was younger, probably got the recipes in 4H, but its hard to find a recipe that doesnt start with...1 box cake mix

This is a depression era cake which somehow seems fitting. It is very rich and chocolaty...it makes the best cupcakes you've ever had. I mix the cake up in a bowl and then pour it into my chosen pans. It says to cook it in a 9x13 which works very well but you can also use other kinds of pans. It makes a very tender, moist cake so if you do use some other type of pan you have to handle it with great care to keep it from breaking apart.

1 Pan Fudge Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/29935

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In an ungreased 9 x 13 pan- yes UNgreased, sift all dry ingredients.

Add the liquids and stir just until blended.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Frost with your favorite frosting, cake is extremely moist so care must be taken that you don't tear up the top of the cake.

Quote:
Yea, I know but you have to remember that during the first depression times were a lot tougher than they are today. Eggs were not easy to come by for most people. People had large families and you didn't waste something as nutritious as an egg on something frivolous like a cake.

Food technologists Mike Musgrove and Deana Jones from the Poultry Processing and Meat Quality Research Unit of the USDA's Agricultural Research Service tested the quality and functionality of table eggs during a 10-week storage time, long beyond the current 30-day industry standard for storing eggs on the store shelf.

Eggs can be washed with water that is between 90°F and 120°F, then rinsed with hot water and chlorine before being placed in cold storage.

"During our study of egg functionality over 10 weeks of storage, we found no marked decrease in quality. Angel food cakes were light and fluffy using eggs stored up to 10 weeks."

Just keep track of the date the eggs were layed then you can "process" them for long term storage and not be without eggs when your chickens molt.

They act like this is something new but in fact farm women have been doing this for a very long time.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Proper-storage-extends-egg-safety

smile.png
I want to add in here....I don't think anyone else has listed this website,
frugal housewife
just type that in your search engine, and it should take you too a great website. She has menu's on a limited budget with the recipe.
frow.gif

I made Potato Noodle Ball soup last night, it's one of my favorites.
dice up potatoes into bite sized pieces, add enough water to cover potatoes and boil them until done. Add some milk and then if I have velvetta I add a chunk of that as well. Then I mix 2 or 3 eggs with flour like you would make homemade noodles and drop teaspoon sized into the boiling water, reduce heat and cook for another 10minutes or so until noodles are done. Cheap and soooo good!!
One of my kids favorites is quesadilla night, we just put some tortillas with shredded cheese heat then up on the stove or microwave and then have sour cream and salsa on the side to dip into. Tomato soup and grilled cheese or sometimes it's grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches those are yummy as well and something different to try.
Ham and bean soup with corn bread is another inexpensive but yummy meal.
My son loves this simple recipe, chili cheese dog casserole. Take torillas and put a hot dog and some cheese in them and roll them up and put into a 9x13 greased pan. Take a large can of chili or 2small ones and spread over the top of them, top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for about 20-30minutes until cheese melts. (optional chopped onion to garnish or add on top of chili)
Baked spaghetti-
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1 pound spaghetti
1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In large skillet, cook hamburger until brown. Mix spaghetti sauce into skillet. Reduce heat and simmer.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Mix in pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Mix together spaghetti and meat mixture, pour into 9x13 pan. Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

Back
Top Bottom