Edible Eggs of All Types: Please Compare and Contrast

Last Train Vnyd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Southern Ohio
I would like to hear from all those BYC folks out there with their thoughts and opinions about the different edible eggs as compared to chicken eggs. Most of us know what chicken eggs taste and look like, but fewer of us know much about duck, goose, turkey, quail, etc. Please compare as many qualities as possible including but not limited to size of egg, taste, smell, cooked texture, price, or anything else that you can think of.

I have young chickens and guineas (not laying yet), and I’m just getting into raising 2 adult ducks (currently laying) and 4 goslings. Eventually heading for Narragansett turkeys and maybe peafowl. Poultry is addicting!
jumpy.gif

Well, I have chickens, ducks, and guineas.

The duck eggs to me, taste like slightly "overcooked" chicken eggs -- you know the ones that you leave in the pan an extra minute and get a little browned? My ducks eat layer feed and have fresh kiddie pools for water but free range otherwise. They are bigger (Pekin), the shells are stronger, the whites are thicker and the yolks are HUGE. I think they are marvelous to bake with (brownies). However, I am not a fan of them scrambled. I think I could get used to them but we have such an overabundance of chicken eggs that I don't have to try.

Guinea eggs are my favorite, but my girl guineas have started laying once I let them out in the morning. Occasionally my dog finds one and brings it up to the house to eat, but I haven't seen a guinea egg in 2 months now that it is nicer outside. But they are creamy, mild, and very rich and about the size of a medium egg or a little smaller at the beginning. The shells are hard and difficult to crack open as they are so thick. The shell "crumbles" more than a chicken egg. And just completely different from a duck egg. The shell reminds me of those chocolate easter egg candies that are the size of jelly beans. They also free range and eat layer feed otherwise.

Hope that helps. I also have bantum eggs, and they are just like full size chicken eggs, just smaller.

Hope that helps -- I am telling you, you will love guinea eggs.

Back
Top Bottom