EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Saw this add on Craig's list and I am thinking these must be ex battery leghorns hens because

They are "mature"
and only "good" egg layers
And they apparently share a yard ??? ummm look at the length of those toe nails - that hen has not been sharing anything but wire
And she has been debeaked. Not to mention the condition of her feathers.

Wish people were honest.
Many people would like to give an ex battery hen a home and bit of the good life. Why not call it what it is.

:barnie

That is a shame. Poor things. Hope they find a good home.

Poor circulation?
I know someone that had a water bottle in their bedroom, it froze solid overnight... Now that's a mite chilly for indoors.
no, i am just cold, i also have goose bumps
i would be perfectly in comfortable in the summer with a sweatshirt on everyday

Saw this add on Craig's list and I am thinking these must be ex battery leghorns hens because

They are "mature"
and only "good" egg layers
And they apparently share a yard ??? ummm look at the length of those toe nails - that hen has not been sharing anything but wire
And she has been debeaked. Not to mention the condition of her feathers.

Wish people were honest.
Many people would like to give an ex battery hen a home and bit of the good life. Why not call it what it is.

:barnie

Seeing this poor chicken like that, make me more confident that one of the main goals of BYC is to educate people about the proper way of raising and keeping chickens and other animals.

Last edited:
Quote: The escapees are all ok, it's the other ones who are poorly. Pretty sure what happened - when I cleaned their brooder, it was yuckier than I had realized (they poop a LOT compared to the others - they eat more) - though not beyond the pale. All the big sturdy ones didn't care, and while I've felt like a bad mommy when a brooder gets yucky, no one has ever gotten sick before. I think these little ones who are already weak were affected by ammonia - a first for me, but again, these chicks have questionable sturdiness.

Brooder is all clean and I've got the windows open wide and air circulating, and maybe they'll feel better as the day goes. They WILL be culled one way or another, in the end, it's just a matter of timing (and whether I can get a meal out of it).

Ideal Poultry got an award? What?
pop.gif

That's so cool - never seen one of those!
Quote: 87F here.

- Ant Farm

The escapees are all ok, it's the other ones who are poorly. Pretty sure what happened - when I cleaned their brooder, it was yuckier than I had realized (they poop a LOT compared to the others - they eat more) - though not beyond the pale. All the big sturdy ones didn't care, and while I've felt like a bad mommy when a brooder gets yucky, no one has ever gotten sick before. I think these little ones who are already weak were affected by ammonia - a first for me, but again, these chicks have questionable sturdiness.

Brooder is all clean and I've got the windows open wide and air circulating, and maybe they'll feel better as the day goes. They WILL be culled one way or another, in the end, it's just a matter of timing (and whether I can get a meal out of it).  

Ideal Poultry got an award? What? :pop

That's so cool - never seen one of those! 
87F here. 

- Ant Farm 

Yeah! Me either till today.

Back
Top Bottom