EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

@daxigait We have been discussing that on the Minnesota thread.

There seems to be a lot of it going around. They go limp and then die.

I think it is weather related, we have had an extremely wet and humid summer, which I think promotes bacteria growth. I think it is botulism. We have found Vitamin b12 and B complex to be promising in countering this. Only time will tell.

Actually two of the sudden deaths were Easter Eggers, and one HRIR in the last year.
We have had a couple broody hens pass this year. I believe they dehydrated from stubbornness & not getting out of the box to eat and drink in our fl heat. I put little water trays hanging on the edge of the boxes now.
Sometimes have to pick them up and put them on the ground next to the feed to get them to eat.

One year ago...

IMG_2262.jpg IMG_2263.jpg IMG_2273.JPG

We have had a couple broody hens pass this year. I believe they dehydrated from stubbornness & not getting out of the box to eat and drink in our fl heat. I put little water trays hanging on the edge of the boxes now.
Sometimes have to pick them up and put them on the ground next to the feed to get them to eat.
Same with mine last year. Even though I put water and feed by her but too late to help. So now if they don't get up I do the feed and water from start.

Back
Top Bottom