EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Finally got a picture of the roo. Again, not sure what I got here but he sure is purdy.

Ralphie, I am trying the water in ziploc bag as suggested earlier, waiting for that to warm up right now. I went out and bought another meat thermo and a Taylor's simple thermo (which proved to be a full 3 degrees higher than my calibrated one!). The stick one is in the ziploc bag "egg" and the other one at egg level. I feel I should clarify something: my incubator is heated by heater elements (look like springs, from a metal heater), the wafer only signals one to come on and it gets real hot, real fast. And the fan is right behind it. I don't think it stays at 102 for very long, just right after it kicks on, maybe a minute or two after. If the water bag (egg) does not get that high, you think it's safe? This is just a big experiment, wanted to see if I could make an incubator without lightbulbs.
Thanks!

@duluthralphie
I think my reply got lost in the goodnight and good mornings. Does that sound like a good plan?

GOOD MORNING, FUZZY PEOPLE! I HOPE EVERYONE SLEPT LIKE A LOG. ALONE AND WET IN THE SWAMP WITH SPIDERS AND SNAKES CRAWLING ALL OVER. RATS CHEWING AT YOU...
I think I will go watch The Princess Bride.

My 2 shipped eggs are on day 13 and one of the air cells looks a bit large. It's a saddled air cell. I've kept the humidity between 35-40%. Is there any way I can keep it from growing too much? 

How much too big? Any pics? @SilkiesForEver

If it continues to be a problem, there are boxes described in the first bit of the notes that you can put eggs that need more humidity in. Otherwise, don't mess up the other egg just to get the large one a bit smaller.

I don't know if you have read any of the notes on the first page, but @BantyChooks recently hatched some shipped eggs with big issues.
Best of luck :fl. I have never hatched shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom