EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Well I am a noob.. of a year. :D and BYC is my go to bible. My recent adventure. Chicken swap at Sharpsburg, MD. Finally met all of my fellow crazy chicken friends. Indulged in my favorite, more eggs to hatch!
Speaking of. I can’t get my humidity to lower!! I’ve done all I can think of. I have fans blowing on them, vents open. Switched rooms. Any ideas, advice? I thought about getting moisture absorbing containers

Well I am a noob.. of a year. :D and BYC is my go to bible. My recent adventure. Chicken swap at Sharpsburg, MD. Finally met all of my fellow crazy chicken friends. Indulged in my favorite, more eggs to hatch!
Speaking of. I can’t get my humidity to lower!! I’ve done all I can think of. I have fans blowing on them, vents open. Switched rooms. Any ideas, advice? I thought about getting moisture absorbing containers
Try a sock of dry rice

View attachment 1352577
On this marvelous rainy day!
View attachment 1352576

:goodpost:We do this regardless of air/moisture probs.
It's a good idea to have 2 brooders set up and ready.
Brooder #1: The "Dry Box". As they come out, they are weak and disorientated. Stumble around. Sit/stand/plop about. Our dry box let's the newbies dry and catch up in a lesser crowded environment. They don't get trampled from the first ones out as well.
Brooder #2: The "Graduation Box". The second box contains chicks whom are able to rapidly show signs of normality of developmental success. Only the strong survive is not a cliche'- it's a fact of life. If any of the chicks show signs of arrested development in the dry box, they stay in the dry box to protect them from the general population.
Eventually the Dry Box turns into the Hospital Box, after all the healthy chicks graduate to second brooder. The ones who remain will stay for rehabilitation and further evaluation.
That's what we do anyway. You can never be too prepared. What can happen, probably will happen-when not prepared.

Sounds like you got a lot done.. Quality family time. That takes precedence and is a very admiral character trait as well.:highfive:

I wish you wished me a good night's sleep instead but I'll take the luck wishes!
The dry box:
Roxanne, you have to put on the red lite..
View attachment 1352547
All day 20 birds. Most before midnight. This morning is day 21.

X2!

Mother Nature has a nasty axe to grind with us.
Also, the deck on the tractor mower broke a week ago. Have to get it welded.. again:confused:.
We have been letting the goat herds over to our residence side to enjoy the obnoxiously tall grass but they attack the hedges and short trees instead. Hubby spends about an hour a day with a hand sprayer on the end of a 300' garden hose herding the ever moving herds that are like children in a candy store. They run in organized packs from area to area, going after the roses/lime trees/jasmine vines/Drake elms, leaving the grass to grow and grow. It is the funnest thing to watch.
DH-Bo-Peep.. hydro herding. Any goat owner knows they hate water. So spraying 30' away from them sends them off in the opposite direction. They are made of sugar! They run from water to avoid melting..:lau

I hope everybody is doing good on this rainy gloomy morning!:caf
Or coccidia lol. I swear it is a survival instinct as many problems wet is for goats.

helpful.jpg

shopping copy.gif

A fast and easy way to remove unwanted nasty water from our pig paddocks is to use a basic waterbed pump. Less than 10 bucks and it fits onto a couple of garden hoses and pumps all the poop water out into our pasture to fertilize the grass.
20180422_180216.jpg

The trench seen in the photo below, is a trail path cut in by the goat herd. By pumping the poo water on said goat path, it gets channeled down hill about 300 yards and get evenly distributed along the way because the slope is gradual.
20180422_180415.jpg

WARNING!
DO NOT DRINK OUT OF FARMER CONNIE'S CHOCOLATE RIVER!!!

Back
Top Bottom