EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

That's a big operation. How many and what kinds of poultry do you usually have?
When I was young, we had hogs, cattle, horses and pheasant on one farm south of St. Louis and another fruit and vegetable truck farm with 100 leghorns for egg sales on the north side of town.

I have 13 breeds of chickens that I breed plus heck I don’t know, another 150 plus free rangers. We have ducks mainly khakis and a pile of coturnix quail. Keep around 200 quail hens. That’s pretty much it for the birds.

How much grain will you get at a time? I usually collect mine in 5 gallon buckets. I feed it wet. Too much hassle to dry. There’s a trick I’ve learned to keep it from molding. Stack 3 five gallon containers together and then put an empty five gallon on top of that. Fill the empty with water and it will compress the other 3 so that air doesn’t get to the grain. After compressing put water, while still stacked, into the other buckets. They last a very long time this way. And it keeps the deer from eating the grain.
View attachment 1677992
Stacking any other than 3 usually results in them falling over.
We have large and small breweries scattered all over town and around the region. I need to get off my bum and seek out some spent grain.

I really don’t want to know about how you hatch. :oops: I didn’t realize you were eight months pregnant, but congratulations!
Ummmm... yes, that would be too intense for most audiences.

A long long time ago, we thought a bath in rubbing alcohol brought down a fever, and lard was good for burns.
Also, fresh greens wasn’t thought of the same way back then.
Speaking of lard, they put a stick of butter in their coffee.

Okay, that is it.

I really don’t want to know about how you hatch. :oops: I didn’t realize you were eight months pregnant, but congratulations!
Ummmm... yes, that would be too intense for most audiences.

A long long time ago, we thought a bath in rubbing alcohol brought down a fever, and lard was good for burns.
Also, fresh greens wasn’t thought of the same way back then.
Speaking of lard, they put a stick of butter in their coffee.

Okay, that is it.
Are you calling me fat, BC? :lol:

Cuz I am. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom