EE and egglaying...

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Guess what????!!!! This morning I went into the coop, and bent down to check the water, and one of my 3 18-week old EE's did the "squat" for me!!!!! Do you think eggs soon?????
big_smile.png

18 weeks! If they start laying that early for you-you're one lucky woman. Mine never started until they hit 26 weeks, but since I get a beautiful seafoam green and a sky blue egg on a daily basis, well.....all I can say is it was worth the wait!! Now for the other two due to kick in any time now.....

One of my EE's started laying at 17 weeks, then the second at 18. They were about three weeks ahead of our RIRs. And yes, the EE seafoam green and sky blue certainly is beautiful.

old.gif
Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken.
old.gif

I reckon she's about 2 weeks from laying if she's just started doing the squatty. That's been my experience, anyways. Well, my hens' experience...not mine.

Quote:
That has been my observation too. About 2 weeks... I'm new to chickens, but my friend with 30 years of chicken told me this was a rule of thumb.

I had to wait until about 26 weeks for my EE. Congrats in advance!

My 3 EE's started laying at about 20 weeks. I don't remember exactly when. I plan to get 3 or 4 more EE's this spring. I am going to make sure they come from the same hatchery (Privett). I buy all of my chicks from several local feed stores. The feed store I got them from had just gotten in an order of 50 chicks that morning and I was able pick out the ones I wanted.

YEP...very soon now. My EE's were my first layers...16 weeks old.
That was in the summer though. Some of my new girls should have
layed by now but havent due to the cold...so hopefull she will lay soon
for you.

My EE's never did the squat for me before laying, and only one does now that she has been laying for a month or so. My other birds all squatted first, but the eggs came within a 2-3 week time of the first squat. My first EE started laying light cream/tan eggs for me at 20 weeks, the other two girls give me olive green eggs since they turned 26 weeks. It won't be long! (it will just seem like it:p)

Back
Top Bottom